cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CircleJAcres
Contributor

Wheat vs Barley

Why is it that some farmers say they can grow barley but not wheat?  Shouldn't good fertile ground support either?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Re: Wheat vs Barley

I asked my dad about barley..because I can never remember growing it in my lifetime here in NWC Ohio. I knew they had grown some as a kid..because after spending a night out on the town with friends..his father had put him on an open station tractor, on a 90 plus degree day combining it. In those days..you didn't have a dust mask..the sweat ran down your back..and he said it might have been the most miserable thing he ever had to do on the farm, LOL. But from what I gather..barley matures earlier than wheat..by up to 2 weeks. That would make it seem to me, that the springtime temperatures are only staying cool for so long..and the wheat needs a long cool spring for optimum yields. Just take for example the conditions in the NW..where Washington state has over 100 bushel wheat...and the conditions in England...where they typically raise 150 bushel wheat. It's all about the length of time where cool temperatures allow the grain to fill. It might be just daytime temps...but nighttime temps must have something to do with it too..as evidenced by our corn crop a couple years ago. Those cool nights produced the longest kernals I've ever seen. I'm thinking it will do the same for wheat.

0 Kudos
hymark
Frequent Contributor

I have learned we can grow winter wheat or barley here in SW Ohio.  Either one makes a good cover crop if you think the stand or the money isn't good enough to go the more valuable cash crops of corn and soybeans.

Planted my first winter barley two years ago and it kept those old hillsides stable.  I sold some for cash and converted others to soybeans.

I like cover crops I can turn into cash if the stand or the market says I should.  Those two are both easy to plant and raise here.

More crop better than none.

Ed Winkle

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I have been told our wheat doesn't mature, it dies off from the heat.

0 Kudos