cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Where is all the corn?

Where has all the corn gone? We need to check our shoes and coat pockets. In the last month after harvest I have driven close to 4000 miles around the Midwest and saw one grain bag in a field and just three elevators with grain stored outside. So where did you hide the record surplus of corn we have? The USDA says the bins are full of last years corn and this was a record harvest  I'm not buying that over the summer everybody went out and put up an extra years storage.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Where is all the corn?

Around here there`s elevators that always pile outside and they have concrete pads poured and rings set up.  And this year they had one of 2 or 3 rings filled and now they are hauling away the one they did fill.  15 trucks lined up just to get in the gate at Claremont  Al-Corn ethanol today and I thought there wasn`t money in ethanol anymore.  Smiley Happy    There`s even corn standing in the field here & there around.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Very few fields of corn or soybeans in east-central Iowa based on my flight of 24 Dec.

Some elevators have been advertising full of corn.

Farmers bins seem to be full of corn.  Fr example, mine are rented out and full.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

In my area the crop was sub-par if it got planted at all. I collected a decent crop insurance check this year.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Talked to our coop manager the other day and ask him if the bins are full of corn.  No, was his answer.  He said they are about 15% short of the last 5 year average.  He also said they moved a lot out all ready.  We do have two E plants 25 miles away that have bought a lot of corn.  We are not swimming in corn around here.  Central IA.   

0 Kudos