cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Which Company Owns Which Seed Brands?

Actually, my question is how to determine if the genetics on variety 1 soled by company M are the same as genetics in variety 2 sold by Company @.  Or P.  Or D.

Since this proprietary information is apparently closely heldl as a ttrade secret, maybe the next best thing is to try to find seed brands that are linked to a certian company.

The idea is if I want to plant 5 different hybrids, I'd like them to be 5 different hybrids, not the same one with 5 different names.

Yes, I know I can compare the characteristics of the seed such as color, height, disease ratings and so forth and try to get a "feel" for if two are related, but this is aabig nuisance.

Is there a list of which big companies own which brands?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Company Owns Which Seed Brands?

Back 20 years ago alot of parent stock was bought from Holden seeds and many of the top varieties from multiple companies were basically cousins.I think when Monsanto paid a billion to buy them out it forced Pioneer and the other big seed companies to do more plant breeding.The problem now is some of the smaller regional seed companies have marketing aggreements.

It would be nice to know the exact genetics of a seed, both for genetic diversity and for price comparison, ,maybe the company with the lowest prices or the one that wants to expand the most might make it available,would be nice to know how much the free hat is really costing me

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

One of the magazines had a "family tree" of who owned what a couple years ago. It was pretty interesting. Probably doesn't even apply now though.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

In my seed dealings I have learned that quite a few companies offer the same hybrid in different bags. Different parent companies. They try to keep that to themselves. It takes quite a bit of time and homework to figure most of this out.
Its very hard to stay diverse actually...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well, if you really want to know for certain, you can send samples of both varieties to a lab like Purity Laboratories in Lake Oswego, Oregon and they will tell you the variety by looking at the genes. Purity Labs may not do it but they would know who can. Ask for Chris Antillon....
0 Kudos