cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who tests their own soils?

Do you test your own soils?  What kit do you use?  Any suggestions?  BEst time to do it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Who tests their own soils?

I soil test my own ground. The elevator I go through supplies test bags and I take samples from different features of a field, whether its soil types or topography. You should probably use a soil probe but a shovel can also work as long as you get soil from every level of dirt until you reach the root zone or 4 to 6 inches deep. Some guys also like to soil test their subsoil as well. Fall is probably the best time to soil test your ground, then you can make plans on fertility for the next year.

0 Kudos
Friend

Test in Fall and at  at the same time every time you test.  Kits are not accurate so your best bet is to pull representative samples ( multiple samples every 5 acres and mix into one sample) for a good statistically correct sample.  Some are grid sampling and using global positioning and computer programs to apply based on sample results, soil type and past yields.  place soil samples on news paper to air dry, put in paper bag about one pint, label and send in to your nearest Land Grant University or some place like A & L Labs.  I feel the Universities results are the best to interpret.   For more information on Soil Testing search your local Land Grant University Extension Site for Soil Testing....

Wishing you the best

0 Kudos
Contributor

I used Sudbury as a child

And I learned a lot and one of those I can't do what the lab does for the cost and information.  It is well worth it to learn how to test soil but I send my soil to the big guys and ask for their recommendation.  Soil pH is the easiest thing to test for but I need a whole lot more information than that.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I send them out.  I used to pull them, but paid to have that done last time.  I prefer to use the university.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We use Ingram's soil testing center. Samples are on 2 1/2 acre grids. Always taken in the 1st week of Nov. every 3rd year.

We prefer Ingram's because they do not limit the test. My parents had livestock 50+ years ago. Manure was hauled close to home. Still after all these years I have a very high test readings.  Some labs limit the test to 300 P readings & 600 K readings.  I want to know what is the actual reading.

Ingrams soil testing center is My prefered testing facility

0 Kudos