cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Will Farmers Follow Enlist Guidelines?

Remember Starlink?  Farmers were told to use the grain for animal consumption only.  But, it got into the food chain.

Users of Enlist technology are being told to feed any corn on the farm and keep soybeans in carefully controlled channels.

What do you think?  Will farmers really comply?  Or will they wink and mix it with other grain and try to slip it into the market place?

My bet is farmers will cheat.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Will Farmers Follow Enlist Guidelines?

Your last sentence said it all Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I remember years ago we had a late frost and a seed dealer got ahold of some early  corn that was in the process to be  cleared for export,and his customers used it to replant.The corn didn't get cleared and guys with no livestock had a mess trying to keep it seperate,I think the seed company ended up paying the difference to truck it to a feed mill,I know of others that just blended it in because they couldn't keep it seperate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My opinion is they should not be able to sell it to farmers until it is approved for export markets. How many are complaining right now ablut China and the Syngenta traits, and China wasn't even a major importer of corn when the traits were released.  Patrick

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'd give you another kudo's if it would let me Pat !   Very good post in my book -

I was thinking about this when I was cutting this fall - But after shelling some corn - and it was dang good considering the rain and cool temps we had - you can see the reseach that we pay for in a bag of corn paying off - anyway - thats the way I see it - but when I cutting beans - really here ?  Look at the price of seed beans and Ken is still only rasieing mid 50 beans - He11's bells - I raised mid 50's and 60's when I was a kid !  I know we have not had the best weather for beans and in other places they were cutting - what ? 60 - 70 80  heck I even read about 100 + in spots - but most had water on demand - so to speak , Now to the meat of my post - ever wonder what kind of bean yirlds we would have - IF the seed companies applied as much money to yield production as they do trying to out do each other in weed traits ?  You know like the round up program - liberity link - and now the 2-4-D beans - Wonder how many billions - with a B they hace spent ? I bet that even Jim could retire with that kind of money - Smiley Happy

Well Its still pretty cool here - come on Spring -

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I agree. Another thought I have had is what if all these billions they are spending on new traits for existing chemicals (that already have resistant issues) were being spent on developing new chemistries instead. It must be that traits are just that much easier, and they get the trait money even if you don't spray their chemical.  Patrick

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The squeeky wheel gets the grease.  If the money is being spent on herbicide tolerance, don't you think that is what is being requested?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Requested by who. Have you ever been asked, I haven't and don't know of anyone else that has either. These companies like to make us believe they have the farmers best interest in mind. When really max profit for them is theironly goal. Why else would they be pushing 2-4d tolerant crops when ther has already been confirmed resistance of waterhemp to 2-4d.  Patricik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Shaggy - Sorry here , but will have to disagree on the part about requested , And will have to agree with Pat .

I have posted my thoughts on why they deveopled a 2-4-D brand of seed - It do's have to do with cost or I should say profit for the company . One thing Pat - about why they would pursue something that already has resistance is at the time they started this project - it was not resistent to the the product - It has taken a LOT long than they expected to past the EPA .  It looks like 2016 or 17 before it really go's to the field , when they thought - by now - it would be going full bore .

In summory - It just cost's to much to develop a new chemisty - that may not work - compared to makeing trait that uses a chemisty that has stood the test of time - much like 2-4-D - Which in a few years - will follow the path of Round up --

0 Kudos