cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Will Soybeans Keep In A Wagon?

I need some harvest handling and short term storage for soybeans in a remote field.  By short term I mean from harvest until about the first of December, so maybe 60 days max.

Would soybeans keep in a tarped wagon sitting outside in Iowa that long?  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Will Soybeans Keep In A Wagon?

Do you have accesses to storing the wagon in a shed? You are talking about Iowa and in the winter time. I have little knowledge on soybeans, but I have stored HRW wheat in the bed of a truck from June until October to be used for seed wheat. The only thing I do is treat it for weevil's but I keep it dry and indoors. I just think you would be exposing yourself to unnecessary risks by leaving it setting outdoors.
0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

They will keep  a long time under a roof, especially if you can get or borrow one of those screw-in aerator tubes.

However, get one good rain on them, and they turn to mush, fast.   The water goes right to the bottom, and the bottom beans get saturated, and once they start to turn, they get ugly real quick.  Don't ask how I know.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I've kept them I wagons, in a shed till spring. If it is a good enough tarp you may be ok. If it somehow blows off or gets a hole you may have trouble. I've had that happen also.
0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

I filled two dump trailers and a triaxle dump truck a few years ago when ran out of bin space. Trailers were tarped, straight truck doesn't have one. But parked all under roof and hauled them away about 3 months later. Everything was fine and at a better price. I would add that they should be dry when they go in the wagon since there is no airflow.
0 Kudos