cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Winter Wheat

How's everybody looking? This winter was too mild for my liking around here, I'm a little bit concerned about whether or not it will have vernalized by the time spring greenup comes around.  Checked a couple sections and no freeze damage though...Outlooks? Price expectations come harvest?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Winter Wheat

With temps below zero in KANSAS and
You are scared about vernal

Let me guess, seeking an advanced degree
At ksu?

Think you need to pay more attention in class.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

55 high, 32 low tomorrow. Remind me which scale that's below zero on?

Obligatory winter wheats common in Kansas require up to eight weeks of cold treatment to ensure flowering. It was 56° here on Christmas... Dec 14th the LOW was 50...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I agree KSKID, we've had several nice winter days, but we've also had several cold days going back into November and according to the DTN weather page Kansas top soils are in the mid 20's.  We are only in the middle of January so we've got a lot of winter a head of us.  When the veteran producers start to worry, I'll start to worry.  After all, they've been playing the weather a hell of a lot longer than we have.

Relax and enjoy the down time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I'd me more concerned about lack of precipation rather than lack of cold weather.  Trust me; cold requirement has been satisfied, moisture requirement has not.

0 Kudos