cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
farmer72

Winter ripping

Had a landlord recently buy a neighboring farm. We had it soil tested and was told that he could tell it had a pretty bad compaction layer about 4-6 inches down. I know by farming next to it for the last 25 years that it is a wet farm and don’t think it’s ever seen any deep tillage. Was wanting to run a no till ripper on it but the weather hasn’t cooperated. About how much of a window do you think I have before it’s too close to spring? Once we get the compaction problem addressed, hopefully that will let more water infiltrate into the ground and will probably start using cover crops and make it a no till farm. Just worried about bringing up some large chunks that may not get settled by planting.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Winter ripping

I'm not a deep-ripper and this is a goofy winter so I don't have an answer.

If you can't rip it all, can you rip parts of it?  

Alfalfa can be good at breaking up compaction but I understand it can take a couple of years.

Other posters might be interested to know the topography and soil type - they may have better advice then.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Soil type and latitude?

A few years ago we had a dry fall and a neighbor ripped up a field with some clay hills.

Looked like a lunar surface with all the chunks of dirt.

By the next spring frost had busted up everything and the field worked well.

0 Kudos
farmer72

Mostly silty clay loam, fairly rolling in central Illinois. Possible snow for the weekend so that may end the discussion. Today may have been a good day to try but other things going on.
0 Kudos