cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Your planting progress?

Surveys show that planting is running ahead of schedule this spring, in fact is at a record pace. Stories suggest that the trade is even planning for an early harvest already.  Is the same true in your neighborhood? -- John

12 Replies
JXK
Senior Reader

Re: Your planting progress?

Once we get some N sidedressed Im going to start locking in basis for NC.  Harvesting the crop a month early on average reduces the marketing window for old crop.  We will have old and new crop corn fighting for space.  

m2c

JXK

Senior Advisor

Corn planting is pretty much done but many are only half way on beans. I'm 20 acres away from being done but will have to wait for a week due to the weather.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I see on the weather story today that there's been a bunch more rain in the southern Corn Belt--flash flood warnings, two to four inches and more in places. Looks like all the rain isn't over. I see that people are having to replant in large areas of the Southeast, where it's flooded. - Rob

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

We rented out some of our acres to a young farmer and he planted it to corn and it is all up.  The hay acres are looking good, but kind of short.

We got just over 2 inches of rain since midnight, and more is coming.Smiley Sad Ah well, it is always something, I guess.

Forcast is thinking that we will get a few days break from the "liquid sunshine" by Friday.... boy, I hope so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

100% done with corn and 60% done with beans the first time.....

0 Kudos
Contributor

Spring wheat went in like a dream. 40% done with corn, got the sprayer out and wasn't able to turn a wheel yet because of wind and rain.  Got 2.5 inches the last 4 days and the ground is so saturated we will need a 7-10 days just to dry out to do anything.  Harvested 300 acres of 09 corn, took the winter real well, was pleasantly suprised. Still have 100 acres of 09 corn to harvest yet, but the darn ground is still too soft.  In our area it will be a mad dash once we dry out as corn needs to be in, need to plant beans, winter wheat needs sprayed, then top dressed with fert., Corn, bean and sunflower fields all need sprayed, then it will be spring wheat sraying time, along with planting milo or sunflowers, plus spraying corn again and top dressing spring wheat.  Plus most of our crop still needs to be hauled to town but the rough winter, and now soft, tore up roads are preventing that.  Let the games begin, and I hope everyone has a safe spring and is able to produce a bountiful crop.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Finished planting soybeans on May 19th.  Neighbor was also planting.

0 Kudos
SD455
Senior Reader

I haven't started yet due to wet conditions since the 23rd of April. Most of the 2,000+ acre farmers have about 10% planted and plan on replanting most of it. If it doesn't rain by Monday I might be able to plant then but the weather people are calling for rain tonight and Friday. NEIN.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

My area of southwest lower Michigan and extreme northern Indiana is mostly done with planting corn and beans. If one drives about a half hour south of here its very wet. Some larger farmers I spoke with in northwest Ohio have 0% corn planting done as of today. The ones that have gotten some planting done may end up replanting some of that acrerage. Not all of the corn belt has seen record pace, if the rain misses this region planting will be in full swing again.