cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CircleJAcres
Contributor

burndown

Anyone heard of using a low rate of N (1gal) per acre in with Touchdown or Roundup to help burndown of weeds?  A local Coop came out to look at a field of mine and suggested the use of N.  Never heard of this before.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: burndown

This is a widely excepted practice. When roundup is being sprayed most will use some ammonium sulfate to make the mix slightly hotter and make the roundup more effective.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I don't know if it makes the mix "hotter" per se, but the ammonium sulfate is used to bind with ionic (charged particles) in the water that would otherwise bind with the glyphosate particles and render them useless. I suppose there's a chance that the ammonium nitrate in the 28% might be binding with particles (I don't think the Urea will react with much)...or the acidity of the fertilizer is lowering the pH of the water to make the mix more effective. Either way..if they're guaranteeing the result..(Which if they're using Monsanto's product I believe is a given) then you can't really argue with them...

0 Kudos
CircleJAcres
Contributor

thanks for the information.  I am going to change and use Sharpen.  Quick acting but very expensive.  The 24D has a setback for planting of 90 days which wont work with trying to get barley in.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I'm not so sure there's a 90 day restriction on using a pint of 2,4-D ester before barley. I found a chart that said Curtail...which is 2,4-D ester and clopyralid, can have barley planted 30 days after application. Yet the chart also said "next cropping season" for straight 2,4-D..and Dicamba or Clarity. It's rather confusing..and if your local guys don't recommend it..then I'm willing to follow their advice. The only caution I would have about using Sharpen..is you have to use some Roundup with it...(Generic is fine) The Sharpen just doesn't have enough burn down to completely kill a lot of weeds..but the glyphosate seems to make the difference.

0 Kudos
idleriver
Contributor

The addition of "N" to the burndown will "heat" up the spray and give better results but you still need to add the ams.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Pup, I took some cattle to Bucyrus last week and it likes south of Green Springs is a good week and half ahead of us in beans ripening.  I also saw 2 corn fields immediately south of GS that looked like hail did some leaf damage.  It looks like more rain this week and I'm itching to get 3rd cutting hay out of the way before bean cutting.   I'll probably make another trip to Producers this week, maybe some of those beans will be off by then.

0 Kudos