cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandcreektom
Contributor

crop stress

In my area (SE IN) the soybeans are holding on for now but this early corn is trying to pollinate and the rest of the corn is only a week or so out. If this heat hangs on another week I don't believe there will be anything to bring in this fall.

I am assuming most areas are at least a liittle better off than here?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
nitefarm
Advisor

Re: crop stress

DON'T KNOW ABOUT MOST PLACES BUT, WESTERN KY. IS HURTING BAD. SOYBEANS AFTER WHEAT DYING , 200BU. CORN GROUND WILL AT THE MOST IN A LOT OF PLACES ONLY MAKE 100-125 , A LOT OF WHOLE FIELDS  THAT WERE NOT PLANTED THE FIRST 2 WKS. IN APRIL WILL MAKE  O , IT IS DROPPING POLLEN AND NO SHOOTS OR SILKS PRESENT. 

I HAVE FARMED SINCE THE EARLY 70' S  IN 83' WE AVERAGED 6 BU. OF BEANS AND 23BU.OF CORN, IF PATTERN DOSEN'T CHANGE SOON WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING YET.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

In my area of extreme southern Michigan we are probably not going to have a corn crop in many fields. I have corn on my heaviest clay ground and my yield guess is between 0 and 15 bushels an acre. The corn is between knee and shoulder high and tasseling. In an average year that ground would yield between 110 and 150 bushel.... That all depends on whether or not some of that ground floods out. (needs tile) I have more beans out than corn. Our beans are holding on but will be the next to go.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

ontario

crop remains well advanced, some areas have gotten rain some have not. drought stress is most visible in those areas that havent gotten any rain. however, it is not entirely a field scale problem yet. my lightest ground is about to start to roll in isolated pockets. rain may come. 200 bu possible if rolling on the loams does not occur- exceptional for central ontario, which is similar to minnesota or northern states (not southern). this would be the third year of way above trend yields for ontario if things dont bake.

southern guys have been having massive troubles with armyworm more than dry weather I believe. otherwise, an almost perfect season so far. rain is likely to come before tassel, but things could go down the **bleep**ter like they have in the corn belt.

0 Kudos
James22
Senior Contributor

A lot of corn is starting to tassel in the central Illinois area and although not physically short, was certainly looking bad until it rained the last two days.  Saved the crop for these folks.  Mine not that far along and certainly didn't get enough rain to carry it thru, so could still be a potential disaster.  No insurance on the limited acres I play with (slightly less than 50);  the tenant is fully covered.   Social Security payments will come home in a couple of months so no plans to respond to the government's "plea" for more food stamp recipients. Beans everywhere have perked up and those that put in second crop beans were certainly fortunate. 

0 Kudos
sandcreektom
Contributor

I just picked up .8" of rain this morning that will allow most of the corn to hang on for awhile but with 100 + temps I don't see how it will pollinate or fill unless there's a shower each day.

Very thankful for the rain though, 1st here in three weeks.

0 Kudos
sandcreektom
Contributor

Some have been saying for years now the best yields are going farther north as the climate changes. They should be right about this season.

0 Kudos
sandcreektom
Contributor

Good luck with those soybeans. If this corn crop gets wiped out, better weather later on could still bring in some good bean yields.

0 Kudos
sandcreektom
Contributor

I also have farmed since 1970 and 83 was by far the worst year here but the temperature wasn't this high. My corn did manage to pollinate in 83 but without moisture the grain was close to pop corn size. Started raining in the fall of that year and I shelled corn in the winter.

0 Kudos