Senior Contributor

ever seen 100 bushel beans?

Optimized-017.JPGOptimized-036.JPGOptimized-028.JPG

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: ever seen 100 bushel beans?

I finished up full season beans Saturday. Saved my test plots for the daylight. Had 10 acre plots in the same field, here are my results
All plots were drilled at 140k with syngenta H8-38 on may 15th and sprayed on may 16th with envive and liquid fertilizers from CPS.
2 gal liquid humus on first plot followed by 3 gal Reinforce K with Gly on June 20th. 87 bu.
3 gal Catalyst at planting with follow up spray of Gly and reinforce K. 88 bu.
3 gal reinforce K and 2 gal liquid humus with same as above follow up spray. 97 bu.
3 gal Reinforce K by itself with same as above follow up spray yielded 84 bu.
Very nice beans all the way across the field but one definitely stood out above the rest. Field was 180 bu corn last year, ran a leveling disc over it this spring one time just to disturb the slugs. No dry fertilizers applied this year. 2 ton chicken litter applied to the top before planting corn last year. Not incorporated.
0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Amazing!!  I have three questions.  What spacing was the drill, 8"?  Was the full season bean a 3.8? and what was the crop grown the 3 previous years?  There are a lot of late 2 beans grown around here and I wonder if we shouldn't be growing more full season beans to max the yield potential?

CIA

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

7.5" spacing from a crustbuster drill. 2" seed depth. 3.8 maturity. I have grown up to 4.5's here and they did well. These were actually supposed to be 4.4's but the seed hadn't come in when I was ready to go. I Use fully treated and innoculated seed.
This field has been no tilled or min till for the last 6 years on a corn bean rotation
0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Nice.

Couple of questions.

Did you have decent rain during pod fill?? Where can one get the liquid humus and reinforce K?? And how much a gallon can one expect to pay for them?

TIA

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Hank, I had an excellent growing season. Lots of sunlight and and good rains too. Beans were blooming by summer solstice. I'm pretty sure Loveland is the mfg'er of these products but I'll check the totes. All products came through CPS (crop production services). Reinforce K is a 6-0-16 with some sulfur in it too. Vendor preaches that one gal equals 33 lb of potash but the math doesn't work out right. I've been using this product for 5 years. They used to call it Trisert. The humus is a humic acid that's black and nasty, will plug your sprayer screens if not diluted enough. But have had good results with it on wheat as well.
Anderson's have a product called liquid carbon that is much cleaner with similar results.
Reinforce K was 12.62 a gallon in 275 totes last year. The humus and catalyst were given to me by my CPS rep to do this test, so I do not know price of them.
0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

I might add that all my beans did well this year. Worst field was 62 bu. A dry program of 10-50-150 yielded 82. Rain cut off for 4 weeks from aug 22nd till sep 20th. But pod fill was pretty well complete as beans were beginning to lose leaves around 1st of September.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Great job Longcreek !

My question -- What did the check rep produce ? As in you did leave a untreated rep to see the difference a product made ?

Neighbor used some liquid type of Pot.   Told me the other day  that they made 8 to 10 bpa more where Pot. was used --

On this guys test - I have a question - knowing the ground ( across the road from me ) did the liquid Pot,  increse the yield - because the ground was already low in pot. ? 

Glad you had a good year

Ken

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Hey ken. Getting that rain yet?
I've been using this product for 5 years, and was pretty skeptical of it at 1st. I've run the 10-50-150 dry fertilizer on half a field and used the liquid on the other half in previous years.
Just as your neighbor, there is generally a 9-10 bu yield bump by using the liquid. You can actually see a difference straight across the field where the spray boom ended. Running soil tests yearly where I've used this and haven't depleted or mined the soil at all.
Last year I went completely to the liquid program on beans and had an 83 farm avg. only reason I used a dry program this year on one field, it was a 10 year old Timothy hay field that went to corn last year. A lot of hay had come off there and not much fertility had been put back.
This is my 1st year using the liquid humus. Seems another 10 bu bump in yield there. It gave me a 19 bu increase in SRW this summer vs not using it.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

No-- No rain -----yet - but it's on the way .

Thanks for the info ! May have to look into that Liquid program for next year . 

Would you happen to know the rte they sprayed per acre ? like 10 gpa or 15 ?  My neighbor wanted me to spray 10 gpa , but I don't have nozles to spray that low and do a good job , I asked why not 15 gpa- for coverage ? he said it would delute it to much . Looks like another 5 or 6 hundred for a new set for next year - lol

Still hauling apples today ?

Have a good one !

0 Kudos