cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

excessive phosphorus

My Bray 1 tests run as high as 108 for P which is called very high. . Most of the other fields are down in the 20 to 40 range. Is there are any fertilizer experts out there if so can I still apply manure to this land? We have a neighbor who every winter applied liquid dairy manure to a certain field because he over stocked a slatted dairy barn and it was close. That field now has some problems with too much P. Thanks for any help. farmguy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: excessive phosphorus

I think you should send in soil samples to Midwest Labs and get their recommendations, because on here we don`t know your soil Ph and percent calcium.  And what kind of manure you`re using hog, chicken, liquid dairy with the analysis.  

Here`s DNR manure plan on over 500 animal units.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/afo/fs_pindex.pdf  

But just a guy on the internet, 216lbs of P doesn`t seem "excessive" to me. fwiw.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: excessive phosphorus, perhaps bale

every  cornstalk off the high p field annually.

say sell the cornstalk bales to a stock cow operator to replace hay.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: excessive phosphorus, perhaps bale

Mark, taking constalk bales off would mostly take potassium off and a lot of it, plus humus and mirco nutrients.  Phosphorus mainly goes in the grain.   Heck of it is, cornstalk bales many times barely cover the cost of the baling, around here anyway.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

" Mining " excess P205 is a common

Annual practice for some fields.

say on the 200 to 300bu corn you can mine 20 to 30+ lbs of P205 annually.

on 50 to 70 bu beans...bale that stubble too..just drop it unchopped out the combine...there's a Bunch of P there to take.

btw on the rest of your problems ba ...get over em. Mo.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re: excessive phosphorus

Simple answer no you can not put more manure on that ground. In Iowa you have to have an approved plan for liquid manure application and you need soil tests to get it. Over fertilization is not allowed. NRCS would shut down the whole operation and hand out a big fine.

0 Kudos