cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meichmann13
Friend

fertilizing in soybean crop rotation - Help needed with exercise...

Farmers realized that applying all the nutrients needed for both crops (soybean and corn) in the first year of the rotation compared to applying each year was a more cost-effective practice since they would only pay once to spray the fertilizer. Also there were no yield differences between the two practices. As an expert, discuss 3-4 issues that could be of concern on the long run if this approach was adopted.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: fertilizing in soybean crop rotation - Help needed with exercise...

150B corn uses less fertilizer than 220B corn.  Are you going to know what your yields will be before you plant either crop?  Seems to me applying for each crop would only cost an additional application fee but you could control how much fertilizer is available to the soybean crop possibly saving the money and paying for the additional fertilizer if not needed.  I've never been a fan of this, why would I guess at what I though might be available.  Until I hired a crop consultant, I thought they were way to expensive.  After using one for only one year, I've come to realize they do actually pay for themselves.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

One qustion you need to research is the soil availability of fertilizer to each crop.  There is research that implies that some N might help soybeans.  Depending on how you apply it, you may or may not be able to apply P&K on the same pass.  Tillagemay affect how fertilzier is available.

You used the term spray to describe fertilizer applicaiton, but most P&K is put on dry.  N is either injected or perhaps not so often sprayed, but spraying is not usually the most effective and efficient way to apply N for most farmers.  It may helop you to understand the answers if you research spray vs. dry vs injected vs fall application vs spring application vs side dress.  

One reason to apply each year is to put on just the amount desired.  It balances out the price issue.  What do you do if one year the price is high and it's the year to put on a double dose?  Some skimp.  Might just as welll just put on what is needed as needed.

Putting on every year is not only a compaction pass but also takes time.  Time may be one of the most precious commodieties at planing.

I usually put in on once every other year for both crops, but have done it the other way.

I think this is a =changing practice that will respond mostly to precision ag.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Not necessarily cheaper to put all fert on in one year. Big swings in fert prices
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

No way would I fertilize rented ground for more than the crop I'm planting that year. Too many times had landlords "take back" a field for hay or sell a home lot. Only farms I try to build up are ones that I have a long term lease on.
0 Kudos