The piles of money being spent, that could
be simple.

First, why does everyone think you
Must plant corn....if I remember my
Livestock classes, seems like the
Corn will come out like it came in,
No gain....then chickery....what?
Yes a few years ago in NW ks, w Nebraska and
Ne Col. They wanted to raise it for tea.
Choffa for turkeys.....choffa, wasn't that
A creature on star wars?
Beesteam clover?
We fought getting rid of clover for years.
I was always told that clover thins the
Livestock blood too much.
Why not just get some cheap Milo
And soybeans, maybe some alfalfa. Plant
Some fruit trees.

With all that you'll have more wildlife than
You know what to do with.

Who needs to buy a 2 pound bag of seed
For $30.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: food plot crazy

Elcheapo,
I'll sell you Oregon grown organic clover seed for $3.50/lb just because I'm a nice guy... And I make $0.30....ha!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I Lease my hunting rights out. I have studied this a lot. It's a lot like crop farming, you have to do what works in your area, with your budget, and with your level of management. I try to work with my leassees. But many of them read the magazines and think they know it all.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I've had several people approach me wanting to lease some of my property for hunting privileges only.  I've got 2 separate 80 acre tracts that are about as close to what I would call "Prime Hunting Ground" as this area offers.  I've never denied anyone the privilege to hunt as long as they have the decency to ask for permission unless I've got cattle nearby or in another instance if I've got unharvested crops.  I've never charged a dime but I'm sure I'm leaving several thousand dollars on the table.  I'm not a hunter and never have been, but I've got family that enjoys hunting and am afraid if I leased it to another entity I would be eliminating the possibility of my family hunting these acres.

FWIW, starting in 2015 I will be requiring all interested hunting parties to approach me face to face and sign a written agreement form that will need to be renewed each year.  My one piece of river bottom ground has in excess of 50 hunters and I'm beginning to lose track of whom I've given permission.  Probably a sign of getting older, but could it be that I've just got more on my mind?  Let's go with the the last one, surly I'm not getting forgetful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

We have been offering hunting priviledges, for a price, on our property since 1998.  We advertise a strictly WILD hunt which means we do not artifically enhance the property in any way.  What ever mother nature provides is what they get.  Most of our hunters understand that which they believe makes it a "premium" hunt and more of a sporting challange. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I went through some of the same issues shaggy. Now that I've been leasing for several years I have noticed people who pay thousands of dollars are more appreciative than those we used to let hunt for free.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We've got a few close long time family friends who we'd never charge to hunt and I don't think they are disrespectful one bit. They come out several times a year just to visit and be friendly. That's my type of hunter.

The ones I'm referring to are the ones who call you the day before or even during season and want to hunt and then you never see or hear from them until next years hunting season. I guess we're the land owners, we can charge a few a let a few in for free. Ya, I bet that would work real well. Probably about like a turd in a punch bowl.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We had a couple bad apples ruin it for all the guys that were hunting on our land. Ieasing made it easier to tell them we were done dealing with their drama.
0 Kudos