cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
infire
Veteran Contributor

fungicide on corn

How do any of you decide? Weather, Hybrid, etc. seems to me the wet & warm weather we have had makes this seem like a likely year to apply, curious what you guys think.

also curious if ecin will be adding that to his plot

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: fungicide on corn

infire : this has been the topic of discussion around here ( Shelby Co. IN ) the last few days , around here for the last 2 weeks - fog in the mornings and dew points in the mid 70's . This is heaven for disease .

But to answer your question -- first how to decide - The first thing to check is your poop sheet on the numbers of corn you planted and look at there ratings on disease's like gray leaf , southern and northern leaf blight - that will give you a heads up on what fields may be at more risk .

What classes i have gone to here -- is if you do not have any disease at the ear leaf at the time of tassel - then you should be OK -- remember - should be OK . Oh yeah - one other thing here to remember - the power for the corn plant come from the leaf's above the ear - very important to protect them .

From the weather I got this morning - is that the eastern cornbelt could have  another 2 weeks of this type of weather . I would recommend scouting your fields - just not the end rows either , out in the field .

The way this weather is - it could blow up quick .

Fungicides do not make more bus. - they only protect what you have . They may say that it can because of plant health - but if you don't have any problems and a good heathly stalk than how are you going to help it ?

As far as my plot ? as of now -- No fungicides will be applied - I checked some fields today before I melted down and so far -- OK

i have done plot work with some fungicides and it never paid in bu.s for the product -- in corn or beans  -- I did not have any dieases issues at the time I tested . They have there place .

This a hard queston ! There is alway that chance ! And this year - A dam good chance .

I would say to keep an eye on it close - or have someone do it - best if you did it , if the  fert . plant does it -- Ken's got 10 bucks that they say it needs sprayed like yesterday - lol

I will be honest here - i do --do custom spraying for fungicides in corn - I have a great looking corn and bean crop - so what to do - what to do - I sure don't what to lose any bu.s - but then again - I don't just want to throw 20 --25 bucks out the window for something I don't have .

So I'm going to sit on my hands for now  , lol

Good luck

Ken

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

Ken - thanks for the response/opinion, I agree best to scout yourself but man it is a tough decision. I am about 2 hours straight north of you so simalar weather so far, but my beans have had wet feet way to long getting light colored in low areas. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

In fire, all of the work I have ever read indicates lower yields/ no improvement. Big losses occur w misapplication: surfactant destroys viable ears.

I would only do it if VOM risk is extreme. So proline. I've never done it.

Seed treatments/ rotation/ tile/ delayed planting is the only management options for saturated bean fields. We've got bad septoria here but the disease doesn't actually cause yield loss, nor would treatment help.

The only reason to spray fungicide on beans is if they are food grade and you can't have white mold. But what are you on?30" rows? That's your fung: I'm on 7.5/15" cause of yield gains they provide up north, but disease pressure could be higher in those configs.

Having said all of that, I have never had VOM or white mold pressure or seen the need. I had frog eye leaf spot in Soys 2011; my yields were still 1 std deviation above the mean.

I wish we got more out of fung on corn soy. It's not like how wheat is: heading and t1/2 create easy money. I mean, if you don't spray wheat heads where I am you have feed wheat
0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

guy89 - I also am on 7.5" with my beans, ground was in great shape at planting but mud ever since, funny you should mention seed treatments I was spraying last evening & saw a sight the Cruiser people should pay me for a picture of, I came up over a hill & for a 1/2 mile in front of me was a line where I switched beans in the drills to un treated seed to finish, I have never seen such a dramatic difference lush dark green beans then instantly pale 30% stand. I don't think I will ever plant untreated again. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Infire - Have the same treated/untreated bean situation here. Thought I would save a few bucks on some beans I planned to plant last figuring with the warmer, dryer soil wouldn't need the treatment. Won't happen again. Beans came up fine, but half to two thirds the untreated damped off during the 8" rain week last part of May. Treated beans are fine.

As far as fungicides on corn, research from Iowa State and University of Illinois shows an economic return if disease is present, but no return above cost if no disease. Our corn looks really disease free at this point, so am monitoring it closely and planning to omit it this year so far. On a related note, if I have to spray for silk clipping beetles during the period shortly after tasseling, adding a fungicide to the mix doesn't cost a whole lot more, so I generally will go ahead and do it.

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

Hank I hadn't really begun to worry about beatles yet but I see your point while your going anyway, do you hire that flown on or will your sprayer handle it, my rogator will just plug the radiator instantly if it's tassled.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

infire ---- 2 hours north of me -huh ? With out getting my 1890 Atlas out - somewhere around Marion ? Wabash ? North Manchester -- lol

Anyway -  My corn is like Hanks -for what it's been threw - really looks good and no major disease pressure -- yet . But man - it sure is right for it . I guess that's why we pay the big bucks for seed corn .

I was talking to my Seed rep yesterday - and his concern was to keep an eye on the beans and frog eye , thats some bad stuff .

Looks another day in the tropic's here today .

BTW I sent you a PM this morning

Have a good one .

0 Kudos
Henri_B
Reader

Have to say that fungicides are integral part of my business. Some period of time found the recearch results, published by some scientist from Dupont company. That's why it can' be avsolutelly objective, but is quite interesting. Importance of foliar fungicides for corn (research results)

0 Kudos