cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milo 100
Friend

growth regulators on beans

Has anyone used growth regulators on soybeans to make shorter higher yielding beans.  Had some hit by banvel and were the best patch but were short and looked terrible.  Made 87  but the crop man said we would be playing with fire to do this on purpose.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
old man
Senior Contributor

Re: growth regulators on beans

One year in the late 1970's, a neighbor sprayed his corn with Banvel. The wind was blowing away from me, but a day later it changed and being volitile, it drifted onto mine. My beans went from being nearly killed next to the corn to very little effect 1000 feet away. It crinkled all the leaves. It took about a week and then they started to set on many side branches. I don't remember the yield, but it never hurt the average.

Then one year, hail hit and nearly defoliated a 50 acre field which were about a foot tall. By the time the ground was dry enough to replant, There were many side branches, so I left them stand. They were very bushy and the yield was not hurt.

I also tried some dwarf beans. These were some of the best that I have ever grown, but if they don't make enough growth early, I also had some of my worst beans. After about the middle of July, they would stop growing and 30 inch rows just will not work.
I am 85 and retired due to back problems so I can't try anything like this anymore

I would like to try what Mr. Cullers did in southwest Missouri, as I believe that with good management, it would make sense to shorten the plants.

I read many years age that some Orientals pinch the growing tip off to create more branches.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Many years ago when Banvel was one of the best products we could come up with for corn...I heard a story about where they tried to use Banvel (Dicamba) as a growth regulator on soybeans using very small doses. The problem is the activity it has...being so active on the soybean plant...it would kill the plant as often as it would do them some good. So I don't doubt that there were some good beans in that field that was all wrinkled up from volatility this summer. I think Kip has a very good idea with the Cobra application he's trying. I saw some soybeans that reached my nose this summer..and even though I'm not a giant (5'8") they were the tallest soybeans I had ever seen. It really would have made it interesting if those beans had been sprayed early...to see whether they would have produced more branches and consequently higher yields.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I th ink i read that on some fields, kip cullers was spraying a ful rate of cobra on the soys to "damage" them and consequently bush more. If you spray cobra, don;'t  look for a week or so...

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

In the late 70s a neighbor sprayed 2-4-D and drifted on my beans, Williams.  They were already chest high at the time.  I don't remember the yield being hurt compared to other fields but this farm was 1 of my better ones, soil wise.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Right...I read that yesterday on the DTN site. Kip is spraying soybeans at 5-6 inches...with a full rate of Cobra and crop oil plus 32%...to try and kill the terminal bud on his soybeans. Then when they start to snap out of it..he hits them with another stimulant to help them leaf out again...and they then tend to branch heavily..and the internodes are spaced closer together. One thing he says is.."Only try this on early planted beans....so you have plenty of time to re-plant them should they get killed"...LOL

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

If this practice becomes widespread I wonder if importers will make a fuss like they did with gmo beans 10 years ago.  I also wonder what USDA and EPA will think of it.

0 Kudos
Ed_Winkle
Contributor

The best growth regulators I have seen are the stroburilins.  They can really enhance soybean growth.

That makes their sister chemical, asoxystrobin on seed a must for me.  They make more yield.

0 Kudos
kritzy
Friend

Ed, can u give some product names to go with those chemistries?
0 Kudos