cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in retrospect, herbicide resistant GMOs should have been by prescription

Jump to solution

I know that everyone will squeal like a shoat stuck in the fence at the notion that we need to regulated but the rapid rise of weed resistance stands as an argument for that.

Resistance came on faster than most scientists had predicted and I don't think it is any surprise why- few people are going to tell you  but I saw and heard enough over the years to know that some percentage of farmers were not conscientious about following recommendations to rotate chemistry, use tankmixes etc.

If RR had been "by presciption only" it would still be available to clean up problem fields and rotation of chemistry would have been enforced by default.  Companies wouldn't have made as much money but they would have done OK as they would have priced the genetics accordingly.

Now all we're doing is chasing a new tail- running through the selection of existing chemistry to keep ahead of emerging resistance.

It was way too much of a good thing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Advisor

Re: in retrospect, herbicide resistant GMOs should have been by prescription

Jump to solution

I have been saying for years...that they shouldn't have allowed the two "major" crops to be planted with the same genetic modifications. I think if we had limited corn to a Liberty Link program...that we would have had quite a few more years of successful usage. If you treat Liberty tolerant corn with a pre-mix of Liberty and a dicamba product (the low volatile products like Clarity)...you're going to wipe 95% of the weeds (Maybe more!)

that Roundup would have taken out anyways.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

The same could be said about letting ANYBODY have access to Roundup. Monsanto has been selling Roundup to non farmers for years. Anybody with about $40 can go to the local store and buy a jug of Roundup and the hand held sprayer and off they go.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I would say that any new herbicide resistance crops SHOULD NOT be allowed out on the market at all.   I guess we haven't learned enough from the last time.  And to add to that maybe we should limit the amount of Roundup Ready to a certain percentage to each farmer.   I know there are still farmers that depend ALL on Glyphosate product for their weed control.   

I also blame the seed companies, I would plant non-GMO hybrids and soybeans IF I had access to them.  The only place I can get non GMO beans seed is from the "private labels" and the University system.  

Monsanto and everyone else wanted to get rich with this GMO tech fee and everything else.  

When I was in college I had my weed science professor tell me "weeds will never get resistance to glyphostate"  I told him that nature finds a way and it did.   

Roundup Ready was nice, but instead of taking care of the technology, EVERYONE in the chain of users missed used the technology.   

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I have been saying for years...that they shouldn't have allowed the two "major" crops to be planted with the same genetic modifications. I think if we had limited corn to a Liberty Link program...that we would have had quite a few more years of successful usage. If you treat Liberty tolerant corn with a pre-mix of Liberty and a dicamba product (the low volatile products like Clarity)...you're going to wipe 95% of the weeds (Maybe more!)

that Roundup would have taken out anyways.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

I agree with you, and I'm shifting my operation away from Bt and RR corn.   I don't have insect problems and it's stupid, both from a financial and from a stewardship point of view to put Bt corn where there's no need.

Planting RR corn has mainly been laziness on my part.    Doesn't matter if I'm careless in my weed management, I can just go in and clean it up with glyphosate.  

Now I need to find seed companies who put their best genetics into non-GMO products.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Pupdaddy,

Shortly after the approval of RR corn I was part of a focus group that the company was running to figure out how to convince farmers that resistance issues when rotating RR corn and beans were no big deal.

They didn't get a lot of positive feedback from me but not as though I thought my opinion mattered. A corporation in search of more profit is relentlessly sociopathic.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution
Rr was its own worst enemy. As the paid joker in their ad says it has worked so good for so long why do anything else. They advocated that we shouldn't do anything else and now they are only a grass herb. Serves em right but I m also not paying for their tech fee any more. A pre emerge and liberty is all we have next year.
0 Kudos