cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

radial bean meters vs shoup/kinze brush meters

Jump to solution

Can anyone comment on the relative merits between JD radial bean meters vs.  Shoup/Kinze brush type seed meters.  The one advantage with the kinze brush type seed meters is that different disks are available to plant other crops, however they talk about replacing wear parts much more frequently.

So what's the low down?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: radial bean meters vs shoup/kinze brush meters

Jump to solution

I have both and would go with the JD units first. You can make a simple adjustment to plant bigger or smaller sized seed, and they seem to outperform the Kinzi units for accuracy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

Question:  I see that different disks are available for Kinze units,  I might want to be able to plant some black turtle beans, maybe even some red kidneys, are disks available for these beans as well.  I can always use my 12 row 7200 in any event just looking for some flexibility.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I don't know the answer to that question. I have a planter that I purchased knizi brush meters for, and it has the "average" sized discs in it. I know that they are rather fussy in how you store them, and are supposed to be disassembled when done and the discs stored so they stay flat and don't warp.

I have had problems if the beans are slightly out of round, after bean treatments for example, and with larger seed. Creates a nightmare when they plug up with a full box. One good thing, it has taught me that you can get the same yields with much lower stands.

Probably can call a knizi dealer about the bigger beans.

0 Kudos