cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

smart wildlife

I have observed deer learning to eat corn at different stages of the growth cycle. When I was a kid they only picked up what the combine left behind. Then they learned to eat the ear at silking, then the whole plant in the early growth stages, about five years ago they learned to shell a mature ear. This past summer for the first time I had some half acre areas where they ate the stalk from the ear up, durring and just after pollination. Anyone observe wildlife adapting like this in their areas?
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: smart wildlife

No we train our wildlife to leave our crops alone. When and only when we are finished with any given harvest will we give our Kansas wildlife permission to graze our crops or residue. How do you think we raise large Kansas Wfitetails?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: smart wildlife, get a tough winter and they camp

on top of the hay stacks.

it all seems to grind in fine.

guess it never hurts to winter 100 to 200 deer per stack set to get em by during the tough times.

such be LIFE.

Elk is tougher to deal with in some respects, MO.

Elk PAY a LOT MORE....on that really good high country variable...

Feed those Elk the Good Hay, and Feed the cows plain stuff.

( Best to just trail the cows down to a High Desert and Cake em some ).

ANY Decent Deer brings $3,500.  We have Big Elk and they bring $14,000 per.

heck, if folks wasn't complaining bout em being here they'd likely be complaining if they was all gone 2.

Perhaps LEARN TRUE MARKETING:  It's tough to beat a $3,500 farmer take on a good deer.

Even tougher to beat the $14,000 take on decent Elk ( heck never run thru a chute, never vacced...just anothe Blessing from God and Mother Nature ).

heck, even the darn antilope is bringing 2,000 per now ( and They do all the work ).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

the deerr and the 'coons keep checking to see when my sweet corn is ready!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I had forgot about coons checking sweet corn. I don't know how they communicate, but only see one every night till its ready to pick. Then the night before you are going to pick, a bunch show up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: smart wildlife, get a tough winter and they camp

Anyone contracting whietails - send them my way

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

People actually pay you guys to shoot elk? I am now a filthy rich man. Send them my way (west). Lol
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If this cattle market keeps going the way it's going, don't be afraid if you see postings for guided beef hunts with a guarantee to fill your permit.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We've a few wolves out here now. No hunting yet though and I don't think they eat corn!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Anyone farm in the areas where birds migrate through. I was wondering how quickly they adapt to changes in crop practices.
0 Kudos