cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1,000,000 Fine Windmills Kill Eagles

A wind energy company was fined $1,000,000 for killing eagles.  That was the first, but one assumes there will be more as there are many wind farms.  The cost of such fines is a cost of business and will be passed on to the electricity consumer.

One doesn't hear of the cost of hydroelectric plants killing fish, although I suppose there are some.  I know some don't like the dams.

Will this be a factor in farmers letting energy companies site windmills on their land?  

One of the resolutions of this fine is that some moeny is used to buy land to establish an aarea where vegetation is not grown to atttract the birds.  So, you lease the site and then eminentn domain claims your farm?  Silly, probably, but who needs it?  I think I'd have a sharp lawyer read any agreement before I'd let a wind power company site on my land.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=130&sid=27751303&fm=most_popular

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: $1,000,000 Fine Windmills Kill Eagles

Sounds like government vs. government at full force. Cheap energy vs the tree huggers. In the end, no one wins.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Jim sounds dimilar in principle to wetlands mitigation land banks. Very expensive proposition, but evidently worth it, to some ventures. We saw it in the mining around us.
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

What I want to know is where was the 10 million dollar environment study at ? I'm just say'n' here - You mean to tell me that Duke - just went out and put up the mills with out or some kind of study on this ???

They shut down the use of DDT to protect the Eagles and then the Gov come out and wants free energy or I should say green energy - boy thats pretty green to kill the National Bird -- huh ?

Just shut them  down and let them use the big sticks for nesting - I guess

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Some don't really want green energy.  They wantto enforce a lower standard of living by making people use less energy and other resources

0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

@clayton58 wrote:

Some don't really want green energy.  They wantto enforce a lower standard of living by making people use less energy and other resources

Correct! They want us to eat berries and leaves and wipe on tree bark.

0 Kudos

Intersting point.  It's the same paradox that is at work in the arguments over the ethanol mandate number.

0 Kudos