cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

$100,000 Pickup?

New Silverados all decked out will cost $100,000...don`t everyone order one at the same time, let the rest of us get in there too.  Smiley Happy    This is crazy, when I was a kid, probably around 1978 I remember Billy Carter, Jimmy`s brother had a pickup that cost $10,000 and I remember thinking Holy Buckets! How do you get $10,000 in a pickup???

But $100,000, you can buy a nice older house and a older Silverado that will haul and take you where you want to go for 5 years.   I like my Silverado, but it`s a money pit, $4,500 for new injectors and it`s annually in the shop with $1500 to $2,000 in work. Last fall I started it and the damned thing wouldn`t shift into drive and wouldn`t shut off, that was a $2,000 control module ...I mean I would turn the ignition off, pull the key out and it kept running and wouldn`t shut off.  The fuel gauge is always on empty and fuel light on, it`ll cost $800 to fix, I just live with it, electric seats quit working, I`m living with that, the mirrors move when I back up.  All that will happen to a $100,000 pickup too one day.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/25/chevy-is-working-on-what-could-be-the-first-pickup-to-top-100000.htm...   

“People want to trade up,” Piszar said in an interview following a press preview of the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD line last week in Bend, Oregon. “If customers want a more expensive truck” than what the brand already offers, “We’ll deliver it.”

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: $100,000 Pickup?

2 old silverado 3/4 ton Chevy's, both bought used, both still running good.  2000 has rust, some dash lights on all the time, but everything works except the A/C, and only 225,000 miles or so.  2007 also has some rust, much thinner metal than the 2000, but again, everything works, and only 190,000 miles or so.  I'd drive either one of them anywhere.  Didn't pay $50,000 for both of them put together.  Sounds like I'll be driving them awhile.  Actually, bought each of them used -- the 2000 in maybe 2005 with 90,000 miles for $11,000, and the 2007 in 2009 with 40,000 miles for $21,000.

Honored Advisor

Yes, it`s going to take a lot of prevent plant acres to buy a $100,000 Silverado  Smiley Happy   Of course I`ve been saying this for 30 years, but these vehicles are getting too complicated and by the time I`m able to afford a used one all those fancy electronic gizmos will be worn out and there I sit ...in my seats stuck in the position they were in when they quit and i can`t afford to fix them, though it wouldn`t take much, the dealer said "there isn`t juice going to them...hundred dollars please" yeah thanks dealer, I know they`re not "getting juice" but can you fix them without me selling a kidney???  On the positive side, I don`t need my heated seats in this 95 degree weather   Smiley Happy

All this fancy stuff is something a farmer doesn`t need, but electric windows are nice when shooing out a fly.   But seats, they used to have a lever and you didn`t need to be Arnold Swartzenegger  to adjust the seat, it was easy.  I don`t see how having a switch that "doesn`t get juice" is an improvement.  I guess if you trade every other year and always under warranty, that`s the market they`re aiming towards.

These new tailgates.. I can foresee a lot of problems on that horizon, in 10 years when I can afford one of those, that`ll be the first thing I haul in for scrap.  

Image result for gmc pickup tailgate

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good used standard tailgates will be good property...

BA --- explain to me how that is an improvement over that step at the end of the bumper. 

That new tailgate step will be a poster child for an insurance claim.  And where is the hand rail that is available to the person who uses the step bumper.  ........................... and a liability claim...