cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: 13,950 / land by Sioux Center, Iowa

Average 60 bushel beans and close to 200 on corn. I doubt much if any money was borrowed on these purchases.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We have some  81 CSR land that doesn't average that mush. It can and does produce those numbers but I would not say it's a yeild average by any means. Maybe the use alot of that special fertilizer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

How is the CSR number determined?  I don't believe I've ever heard of it in Ohio.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'm not sure how it is determined. It is the corn suitability rating and is determine by a composite of your soil types on your farm Nicilette soil is probably the best soil in our area and I think that runs at 83 CSR. Other areas of Iowa have some better soils but I could be happy with a high percentage of Nicolette in my farms. What makes nicolette special here is that it will produce terrific corn crops and soybeans will produce better as well. Some of the highly productive corn ground is too heavy or tight for top soybem production. Probably because it isn't drained well enough.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Who has the authority to put the number on it?  The county soil and water service or whom?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Don't know about your soils but I farm the same soils as the $9000 Remsen ground and that would be an average for the last 5 years. Those with lots of available manure will do better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I think they are state wide standards created many years ago. I suspect the standards were a product of the Iowa State extension service. I do know they do extensive soil testing and mapping.

Ironically the soil types seem to be named after areas where the soil type is prevalant.

Examples:

Nicollette is prevelant near nicollet county in Minnesota.

Clarion Webster is prevelant in wright county Iowa and Webster county Iowa

Okiboj is a poorer soil type prevelant in the great lakes area of NW Iowa.

My dad always said his farm was mostly Clarion webster when I was growing up. I see the soil maps today have a bunch of it labeled as canisteo. So evidently it has been reevaluated since I was a kid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

In the early 70s the soil and water service did extensive soil testing and mapping here.  Maybe it was a nationwide doings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

My pc won't open the link.

0 Kudos