cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

25¢/gal Gas Tax For Infrastructure?

What do you think of a federal 25¢/gal gas tax on infrastructure?

I'd be willing to consider it except for a few reservations:

1.  The tax is to pay for bridges, roads, maybe even locks and dams.  The electric car people won't have to pay but their car uses bridges and roads, too.

2.  Can anyone really believe the money will go for infrastructure?  The general fund has ways to siphon off every little penny it finds.  I don't trust it.

3.  If it's the feds, then they will approve/disapprove projects and the states will do whatever Uncle Sam lets/wants them to.  Is that good or bad?  I'm not sure.

4.  I wish they'd fix what we have but I'm afraid anytime we have this huge pot of money we'll end up with some boondoggle like California overpasses that have no road on them or the Boston Big Dig and billions of dollars will not go to fixing I-80 bridges.

I'm not averse to paying road taxes for good roads.  Just skeptical.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: 25¢/gal Gas Tax For Infrastructure?

The skunk just crawled out of the gunnysack

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

While the push for an increase of the fuel tax is on , likewise a House Bill introduced  Rep. Doug LaMalfa  of California would repeal the Heavy Use Tax on commercial vehicles.

The Congressman reports  F E T was  '' imposed '' in 1917 to help defray the cost of World War 1 . The  Tax has grown from  3% , when it was incorporated into the ''' Highway Trust  Fund ''' in 1955, to 12% now ---

He states the  12% = to  $12,000 to  $22,000 costs per vehicle is a tax on American jobs . Repeal would spur new jobs and get our economy moving again states the Congressman.

Interesting to say the least ?  ?  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Interesting................ I always tend to give them the doubt................ He isn't ignorantly mixing details and metaphors out of historical ignorance............... He is rewriting history to forward an proposal possibly ........ schrewdly of course being a wise politician.

----------------------

I was going to comment to jim that I thought we already had a fuel tax for infrastructure-- larger than 25 cents.

But I'm thinking about a run for congress so I might be mixing my mental salad.

I have a full understanding that you cannot trust the federal bureaucracy with earmarked funding...  I am looking at this political move as "farming diversification".  Maybe a toll booth to deposit 50 cents and precious public opinions.

----------------

Heavy use tax...... an example of the slight of hand by government......... make it look like someone else is paying for it.  

It never made sense since the heavier truck is delivering what the small vehicles need and use.... just raise the tax to all and save the bureaucracy it takes to administer that "bypass" tax the average citizen pays in higher freight anyway.

-------------------------

many laws and taxes are absolutely necessary to provide protection and public transportation.  It is in the "what it takes to get them passed" process that things get juvenile.   And don't forget the "trading of favors" so my brother in law can be the Fuel tax administrator in chief and the other congressmen can provide for their families .........................and attend the Super Bowl... by way of road taxes.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

😯
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

SW  -  I'm  available for camPAIN  manager - travel agent  position --- 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If we had a camPAIN manager to draw the opioid vote

———it’s just dreaming. ——-
But the underlying factor is swamp drainage to beat the drought and recharge the aquifer. We can get there with a federal credit card. And we’ll look respectable with a charitable fund and equality in our platform. And a blind, three leg dog. 😅. Have a fun day.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

A tax increase is a tax increase.

Further..rural America gets hit in the head, again

Most rural folks are forced to go longer distances
For shopping, supplies, parts and medical treatment
And care
Compaired to their city cousins
Further, most roads they travel will not benefit
From the proposal.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

El cheapo   -  nice  D C  conservative move - all  the  hand wringing  every 4  years  about  infrastructure , although this one is  a private (toll roads)  - state $$ 80% - fed  20% $$$  stone soup recipe --- Maybe we could get a toll booth job - oh wait they will be electronic devices ---

I have asked for some details on this scheme from elected officials  - so far  NO  response ---

Cornhusker state is attempting to finagle it's message and calling the new purposed budget the  ''' opportunity  act  ''' (new definition) for tax shifting, although I think the clutch is slipping ---         

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I am also skeptical, however we should have all learned by now to have designations to assure road funding go where they`re promised.   The people in California perhaps see improving the Mississippi locks & dams same as much as we aren`t thrilled to see Iowa tax money going to the 405.

Couple years ago Iowa raised the fuel tax a dime and for awhile Minnesota had a few pennies cheaper fuel and Minnesota didn`t raise their fuel tax.  Well, now road diesel is $3.10 up there and $2.99 here.....so? I don`t know.   Last summer there was a lot of road construction in the rural areas that need it.  The locks & dams need money spent, to accommodate the modern size barges.  And what would happen to our markets if there was a major failure in the antiquated lock system?

Back when the national debt was doubled from $10 Trillion to $20 Trillion on stupid crap, we should`ve took just a few billion and made those improvements.  But kids, there isn`t a "Santa Claus" if you want improvements ...routine maintenance actually, money has to be spent.  For too long we`ve rode piggyback on  our grandfather`s original investments when must was done back hand and horses.

0 Kudos