cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

$300,000 Worth Of Mink Released

2,000 mink valued at $150/each were released by peson or persons unknown, but sought after by the FBI, in the Wisconsin town of New Calument.  

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20131006/GPG0101/310060368/2-000-mink-released-from-farm...

http://www.fox11online.com/news/local/fox-cities/two-thousand-mink-released-from-farm-in-new-holstei...

About 3/4 have been recaptured by 100 volunteers.  Whew!  Only $75,000 to go.

The owners say they had no security before but that will change.

Rustling is not a crime that most farmers and ranchers take lightly.  Have you ever had a load of hogs or cattle or a truckload of grain go down the road not on your truck?

So you pay more attention to farm security these days or are you still comfortable with your lock up and surveillance practices?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: $300,000 Worth Of Mink Released

We have known of whole semi- loads of top hogs to disappear off of grower's farms on occasion here in this county. We cannot account for any such similar losses, but we have set up our farm so that anyone driving to the hog production sites has to pass within fifty feet of my side entrance, on a path right outside the bedroom window, past several badass dogs.

We also have huge guardian dogs in the farm proper. One of the best tales i can tell is that when I had the gigantic male was on duty in my yard, , he had a habit of putting his mouth onto any part of a person he saw hanging out of a vehicle window.

If anyone asked if he would bite, I would say, " Well, he's got teeth..."

if they freaked out and said, "He's biting me!", I would calmly say, " No, he's just tasting you...."

I really miss old Jack.

It probably doesn't hurt that people apparently think we are a bit loco, too. If you aren't sure whether or not you would be shot, maybe a free pig isn't all that attractive a lure....
0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I sent a bunch of Hogs to the farmland plant a number of years ago and were to be priced on grade and yield. My check didn't come and didn't come and after a couple weeks ai called the hog buyer and asked about my check. He sent a trace on it to the company and the company said the check had been mailed and cashed by a distant cousin.

Farmland asked me to recover the money from that distant cousin instead of issuing me a new check. Needless to say I balked at that suggestion and told them to pay ME for my hogs. Of course they asked the cousin and he claimed it was deposited by mistake.  Somebody sends me an $8000 check I am going to know why I got that check. Needless to say, I don't think it was an accident.

Anyway farmland paid mme and that is all I care about. Now if they would just pay me my dividends I earned.

I think it was criminal to turn lose a value crop of animals like that. Have they no shame!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Jim, I spent most of the day last Tuesday on the road to a mandatory grower meeting with our integrator. This was for a full overview and Biosecurity protocol prescription by the veterinary staff, due to the presence of PEDVirus in the US.

I have sat and read all of the handouts more than once, asked Mike to do the same, and applied all of the principles to our site. We are placing the farm under a locked chain at the gate into the hog facilities. This is more complicated than it first appears, because sometimes feed deliveries are days off the date they are ordered to arrive.

The company says it will provide its lock, which feed and live haul can get into. We have asked for one of theirs, and will interlock a second lock, with enough keys to go around to the family and hired man.

New protocols require that anyone, except feed and livehaul, must be interviewed as to their movements that might have put them around other pigs within the previous three days. Those responses have to be recorded on a form, and initialed by one of us. Those forms are stashed in a binder in a big rural mailbox near my office door.

In addition, we have had to order farm staff not to touch any truck, and not to allow anyone into the farm, except those we have making essential deliveries or repairs, via the sign- in process above. We are supposed to report any delivery person or truckdriver that isn't seen using required booties and gloves. These are all left at a designated spot as they exit the farm.

I have drafted signs for the gate and sign- in spot. Those will be done, as soon as i can catch the sign shop open.

I have called the electric company, which is the only service or utility we don't make appointments with prior to their coming into the gate. They have been instructed to call one of us before they come, so we can sign them in. Mike knows everyone else - LP, CO2, diesel, etc. , has to come on an appointment.

We have had to shift from less formal to extremely stringent security in the span of a week. Compared to some farms, we have very few visitors...we do most functions in- house...mowing, washing buildings, vaccinating, trash disposal, mortality management, and waste management. Anyone hired in for these chores may be excluded, for the welfare of the herd.

This disease is scary as hell. Not the reason you probably brought up security, but probably a more current cause of concern in our swine industry.
0 Kudos
Slim123
Senior Contributor

They hit Southern Minnesota too.

Mower County Mink Farm Targeted

MGN Online

(ABC 6 NEWS) -- Animal rights activists are accused of setting hundreds of mink free from a Mower County Farm early Monday.

The farm near Grand Meadow has about 1,000 of the small weasel-like animals. The owners and neighbors of the farm located all but 50 or so.

Someone helping in the mink gathering said that the pens would now be guarded at night.

We talked with the fur trade association the farm works with, who blames the incident on animal rights activists.  The animals are raised for their fur as well as oil.

This is the first time the farm recalls being targeted.

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

that happened years ago here in Michigan.   Don't know if they recovered any of the poor creatures.  Bet the animal righters that don't like cages or fur or whatever, didn't think about the fact that the stupid little things didn't have a clue how to survive in the wild.  For get the money the animals righters killed the poor little things.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

LOL!  just a taste! HA

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

That's very illegal, as it should be, and not humane in any degree. Although I have to say that plain old Malicious Trespass statutes, prosecuted to the max, are probably sufficient and we probably don't need any ALEC written agroterrorism laws to deal with it.

But I have developed some ethical objections to raising an animal in that fashion for the purpose of human adornment as opposed to using animals for human sustenance.

Trapped fur is a different matter and in my view is reasonably regulated and sustainable and given the dearth of natural predators it is environmentally beneficial, on net. Which like a lot of things puts me at odds with the radicals on the anti-fur side as well as the agro radicals.

The questions surrounding farm raised fur raise the greater question of at what point do I defend "agriculture" against its "enemies" as a matter of my own perceived self interest.

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

Had a neighbor who had some hogs rustled once.

He actually wasn't aware of it, though, until a couple days later one came walking out of a corn field with a rope tied around his neck.

0 Kudos