cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

616 bushel per acre corn ----????

At what yield does the profit maximize........ ??

Nothing else matters.... Disney can probably produce 600+ bu corn without dirt..... so what.....  They have floods of cash supporters making it look smart.  But can they feed the world at a reasonable cost?

It was obvious this record breaker doesn't want to get that kind of return on every acre..... and still needs those other acres to pay the bills.

Any thoughts on that article that flashed through SF this week?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: 616 bushel per acre corn ----????

Dave Hula is the man, no doubt about it and I think it was a 10 acre plot...and no identical gravity wagons with one set having cement in the tires  Smiley Happy

The stars did line up weatherwise to blow through the 600 bpa mark.   However, to say every acre on a midwest 1,000 acre farm could get a guaranteed 250 bushel yield would be pushing optimism even if money was no object.   Herman Warsaw got 370 yield in early 1980`s Francis Childs got 440 yield in the 1990`s .  Here we are 35 yrs after Herman Warsaw and with all the whiz bang hybrids, straight planting, pattern tile ect ect ect and the biggest bragger in the coffee shop still hits a 300 bushel ceiling on yield on a field average.  

In my opinion the low hanging fruit has been picked on yield that being weed control and timely planting and fertility holy grail.  You take care of that triangle and from there on yield increases become economically uncertain...I mean put 500lbs of N on and insecticide, fungicide ect ect ect$$$$ on 10 acres and get hailed out or flooded out no big whoop, but spend all that input expense on 1,000 acres and it doesn`t pan out, then you got trouble.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Leaves  me  asking,  what  would  a  '''  rent -  share  '''   agreement  look  like  -   -   -

Thinking  , I  would  rent  him  400 acres   -  say  for  116  bushel  rent /  acre ,  leaving  a  margin,  opportunity  of  500  bushels   -  -  - 

Might  tweek  the  lease ,  with  $3,40  on  the  116 ,  due  Jan. 2 ,  2020   -  maybe ?         

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

.I got an idea for a comment on farm management and this feeds into it.  What level of risk can your farm stand.  I’ve long thought the discussion on genetic improvement was irrelevant in terms of higher yield for most farm s.  A dangerous trap for others.  

High plain irrigation being a great testing ground.  If you concentrate water to shoot for potential, double input costs and cut irrigated acres in half, the risk factor goes up and puts you in a hail risk of loosing the farm in one year , because there is no way to insure that crop at the break even rate or absorbe the losses in a tough climate.  P1197 is not new or special genetics we’ve had it profitably at 240-260 for a while.  I just see no level of logic that supports a contest that teaches us very little.

0 Kudos