cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

8 inches of Snow in North-Central Iowa Last Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talked to one of my Custom Operators this morning, 8 inches of snow covering our corn fields this morning and still snowing!!!!!!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: 8 inches of Snow in North-Central Iowa Last Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8" is nothing, we got a foot. This is great, the slow start will hang on the market all summer keeping the bears at bay. gotta look at the bright side we dont need a 2 billion corn carry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes, my Custom Guy just updated me with a new snow report, we are at 12 inches too, and he says it is currently snowing very, very, hard. My Mother who lives in Des Moines says it is snowing very hard there too!!!!!!! It even looks like the snow is in Northern MO too!!!! Any idea of how far your soil temp has dropped? We really need a 50 degree temp. Do you care to estimate when you think you can start planting again? An extremely difficult question I am asking you, but care to throw out a ballpark date??? As you know we are all getting very worried, we haven't had something like this for years and years!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We had a very wet spring in 2009, didn't get my corn planted until Memorial Day.  Stayed cool and wet the rest of the summer and ended up with one of my best production ever.  Of course we didn't get done until middle of Dec, elevators couldn't handle the wet corn very well and they made out like hogs on drying income.  

The snow won't hang around long, we had 12" back in March and was gone within 5 days.  If we get past May 15th and haven't turned a wheel yet, might start getting anxious. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Well this foot of snow has over a inch of rain in it that fell on already marginally fit soils to began with. 1.5" is predicted in the next 5 days. If it dries after that youre looking at mid may. However it doesnt feel like were in a drying socket that easily, probably may 20th with exceptions, pattern tile @ 50' doesnt do much for nucents rain and melting snow. Thats all okay though, a national yield in the 140's aint a bad thing, its all about "gross per acre".8

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the estimated planting date BADEERE. Yea, that's what my Custom Guys are saying to, May 20 or later. Ok, what is the rule on yields? I forgot!!!!!! Is it one bushel lost yield for every day planted after May 16? So corn planted on May 30 can expect a 14 bushel/acre yield drop? Been so long since we have had to plant corn at the end of May, I forgot the yield drop rule!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes, let's not panic till June 1st!!!! Easier said than done. I should look at my records for June planted corn, it could be that terrible 1993 year, but we switched alot of corn to beans that year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I think the yield drop is more of a "bell curve" but as a rule if you get past may 25th youre entering no man's land on corn. It mostly depends on the weather at tasseling, corn planted on may 30th could turn out good but you'd better be dropping a little extra in the collection plate each sunday all summer Smiley Happy late corn=wet corn hard on you roi because it has to be 15% to get your check. This corn in the ground has me concered, it's first drink was ice water, now it's dig and wonder "will i have to replant?" even as the days go by "should i replant?".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Couldn't wait, eh? I decided I didn't have time to plant twice this year and waited. Actually very few planters rolled, even though they could have but we are a ways north of you. Will be interesting to see what happens. We actually are north of the snow today, and a day of sunshine will make things look very springlike again. Nice to see the markets jolted, though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes, corn planted at the end of May can be very iffy!!!!!! I think I did corn on June 1st one year in 1993, you know the year of the non-stop rain, we even planted beans in mid-June that year if I remember right. Yields were terrible, about the worst I got, on par with 1988. Yes, 1988 and 1993 were 2 years we hope to never repeat itself. Well, we may need to make some choices, I have mainly 104 to 109 day corn bought, I think we may luck out I hope, but yes, wouldn't hurt to put a little extra in the collection plate on Sunday!!!!

0 Kudos