cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: 8 inches of Snow in North-Central Iowa Last Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we're all a little "Norwegian" and Ole couldn't wait. ole and lena were before the peacher getting married and seeing how they were both nervous he made small talk. So ole what nationality are you? "100% Norwegian! Pastor". So lena is there a little Norwegian in you too?  "Yes pastor, ole couldn't wait" Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes, living in MN I have heard all the Noreweign jokes there could possibly be!!!! You get way up to the iron ore country in way northern MN there are alot of Noreweign People that live up there. And they still talk funny, that Noreweign way of talking. Can hardly understand them sometimes. Alot of poverty way up in Northern MN, they live on what they call "FARMS". Not a grain farm like Iowa, you couldn't even grow carrots in the soil up in Northern MN, all sand and rocks!!!! You know you are in a poverty area when every farm house is a trailer, and not the deluxe "DOUBLE-WIDE" we have in Iowa, just the "Single Wide". And they have 3 junk cars on blocks, plus old kitchen applicances in the front yard!!!!! If you ever get a chance, take a trip off the main highways up in Northern MN, a real eye-opening experience that people still live like that!!! And many call themselves "Farmers". What they farm is beyond me. But I kid you not, like the movie "DELIVERANCE" from the 1970's!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

rsw - about an inch and one half of rain since last night, snowing now here in the rural backwater.  Yesterday fields were working great, field cultivated in all my tile lines put in last year, had three terraces taken out by the 7 inch rain a few weeks ago.  Kinda looks like things are coming to a halt.  

I have everything checked out on my Lund boat to go fishing, all I have to do is put  my new hummingbird fishfinder on it, and it should be time to go to Rathbun lake and catch some lWalleyes.  

I understand the State Record for a Walleye is just over 14.5 pounds, well when they netted walleyes for eggs at the Rathbun fish hatchery a few weeks ago, the largest Walleye netted was 14.25 pounds, close to the state record, all were released back into  the lake.  

Rathbun is one of the few Corps of Engineers lakes where the fish can be eaten.  You know . . .not polluted by DSM and those Big Pig and poultry outfits from Northern Iowa like, Saylorville, and Red Rock have been.  Plus . . . it is one of the few lakes in Iowa where boats with 50 horse motors can fish. lol. 

This will be the last night at 32 degrees, peach trees, apple trees, plum trees and pear trees are about ready to blossom, so Spring is about here. Barn Swallows are back and the yellow finches are fighting at the bird feeders.

I imagine that all the farmers North of I-80 will be  filing federal crop insurance losses next week. Is your wife going to allow the expense for that new snowblower, to get you dug out up there in Minnesota? LMAO!   John.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

This snowstorm was really funny up here Faust in MN. i live in the southern Twin Cities so I can get on i-35 south which is just 1 mile from my house here and be on one of my Iowa farms in 2 hours, just 170 miles drive. Anyway, Rochester, MN is just 45 miles due south of me and they had 17 inches of snow. Here in the south Metro area, I had less than 1 inch, and in the next southern Metro City, Farmingtom I believe, less than 5 miles south of me, they had 9 inches of snow. Really hit and miss snow up here, my Custom Guy said we got 12 inches on my farms, which are 85 miles due north of Des Moines on I-35. So, lucky, don't even need to get the snowblower out at my MN House!!!!! Looking out the window, that 1 inch of snow is gone, but you see cars driving up from the IA/MN Border on I-35 and they have a foot of snow on the roof of the car.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Heavy wet snow took down a third of the roof

On the Renwick Motors building.

0 Kudos