cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: 92 Day Corn/JIm MEADE

Thanks for the very good post on short-day corn. I am going to look at the Iowa State University Extension Website/Studies on planting short day corn. They can have some very useful information and perhaps an answer of my problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: 92 Day Corn

Crawfordsville is what, 30 Miles north of Missouri.  I am 50 miles South of Minnesota border.  Frost date up here is Sept 26.  Frostdate down there is Oct 15

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Crawfordsville is 60 miles from Missouri, but your point is well taken.  Frost date is the major issue when it comes to late planted corn from what little I know.  If you are going for silage maybe it's irrelevant, but if you're going for grain you are right that frost date enteres into the picutre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I am not planting corn for silage, so 1st Frost Date does make a difference. I am 55 miles south of the MN/Iowa border.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

In C IN we can go up to about 120 day hybrids but the most popular stuff is 109-115 approx.

Just old fart talk, mostly, but back in '02 we planted 100% of ourr corn between June 2nd and 6th. You could row the first planted corn on the day the last was planted and it was the closest thing to 100% even germination and emergence I've ever had.

I dropped the longest hybrid that I had planned for maybe 20% and substituted something shorter but not extreme. 

Corn made 182 overall and was the most beautiful crop I've ever grown. Dried down near normal and outyielded what I heard about the bit that was planted in a brief window in April by 20-30 bpa becasue of drownout and poor stands.

If it were me, I wouldn't panic and go too extreme on shortening maturity yet.  Of course it could turn into 2009 with very slow GDD acculmualtion but there isn't currently much to suggest that.

BTW, as far as the very short maturity hybrids, if you're dropping high 30s pop anyway, I'm pretty sure it can surprise you with yield. IT doesn't take very big ears to make 200 if you have 35K of them. Actually about .4 unshelled ear weight, dried to 15%. Not quite a nubbin but a far cry from a ball bat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: 92 Day Corn/Hardnox

Thanks for the advice Hardnox, it is nice to hear your story on your 2002 crop year and late planted corn. My Pioneer seed guy has some 99 day corn available and that may be a good choice at a 35,500 pop rate. He says 99 day corn could get close to 200bu. If anyone else has experience with sub-100 day corn I would be interested in knowing how it did for you. Thanks again for your opinions and advice, I really appreciate it!!!!!!!

0 Kudos