cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farawayguy
Veteran Contributor

Re: About custom farming

Yes, I would ride along with some farmers to get that perspective - it's been 25 years since I've run tractors. I do have 10 current tenants and some friends that farm. Wouldn't even think of doing this without getting educated that way first. But I'm at least 2 - 3 years away from going that route, and as I said, I probably wouldn't buy equipment to take in the crop, so no combine, trucks, etc.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

You do know that the secret to success is expansion expansion epansion.

And my measily little farm would fit right in when yours is too wet to work.

BTW my guy is doing just fine but i wouldn't mind hiring the best for way too cheap!

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Oh but there are numerous capable farmers. I always said you could throw a rock in the crowd in my ccommunity and the guy the rock hit would be a good farmer. There are some darn good ones in my community and I suspect yours.

I gt a good farmer and we try to keep each other happy. I've spend alarge amount on tile and he has done a number of acres for me. And we will do more as we determine which areas are the most problematic,

He whips in with a new 24 case IH planter he can plant 400 acres in a day should he choose to do that. I try to buy corn varieties that make it easier to faciltate his  planting and harvest schedule.

So I dotry to be helpful if I can. He pattern tests my acres and we have limed the soil where needed and apply the needed fertilizer and micro nutrients. So we are giving the corp every advantage and some time mother nature doesn't cooperate.

So I am disappointed when crops are less than expected and are in high clover when they are great. I don't think the disappointments are his fault and I don't always think the great crop are his fault either. He is one very smart dude and his abilities far out weigh his farming talent. I firmly beleive he could make tons more money in n engineering capacity. His skills at metal fabrication are a wonder and his knowledge about electronics and GPS guidence are great. That guy does alot of book larning along with hands on  expermentation.

Quite a glowing report and he will probably raise my rates and we will have to wrestle again.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

It aint perfect and if your a man of low tolerance, it aint for you.  I never was too good a farmer anyway so I am easily satisfied. I always spent too much time on a golf course and it showed. LOL!

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

The answer to that is to tell your customer that your costs demand a rate which is out of line. That they should hire someone at a more reasonable rate. That is being honest with the customer and he should understand.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

The answer to that is to tell your customer that your costs demand a rate which is out of line. That they should hire someone at a more reasonable rate. That is being honest with the customer and he should understand.

Like asking a kid to drive 50 miles to mow your lawn for $25.

0 Kudos