Honored Advisor

Acre changes and adjustments for 2019

Farmers are having their "grower" meetings locally this week.  Finishing the initial crop acre choices and trying to move on.......... one way or another...

Point is ........... I am listening to more "outside the box" talk than ever.

At first I was concerned, tough decisions can be great or not...

But It has been going on for a couple of years and I am just catching on.

I used to be able to raise good wheat also............ becoming a distant memory.  --- but 40 bushel wheat used to be something to be proud of back when Russia used to buy from us.

Things are changing here on the sw fringe.  water or not...... cotton is bowling us over.... (it sounded better than it looks on paper)   Not just in sw ks but all across the southside and I heard about grower meetings in the central kansas area...  It wasnt a great cotton year cool and wetter than normal but the yields were good it we can go by bail count... not sure how all this stuff is going to get through the gins in an area that was 80 miles too far north most of my life.....   Those round bail strippers are a big improvement for faster harvest and less labor...then much easier to transport to distant processing.

Soybeans exploded last year in ks -- in september on a drive from Emporia to Elkhart I saw more soybean acres than milo or corn acres..... Probably all the highway 50 farmers conspired to mix me up..... but even with $9  beans, they are still on the talk this year....... ( water reductions, and expensive pumping costs, along with sub $4 prices even at feedlots are taking their tole.)  

I really don't think this talk is about making money but not loosing so much......... or ............... lowering costs to be profitable.......  and seeing some great yields on trial runs.

Keep in mind you could drive across the state and not see either of these crops(west of emporia) a few years ago....  

I know Iowa expects every one else to do the changing.......... but you should try it ...... its refreshing....Smiley Happy