cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Ag Day -- what's your message?

We're helping celebrate National Ag Day this week. It's our chance to share what we do with the rest of the country, the consumers for whom you work hard every day. 

So, if you could directly share one message with your consumer, what would that be? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Ag Day -- what's your message?

Food is a national security issue, and farmers are your first line of defense. 

Advisor

there are no longer any ethanol subsidies and import tariffs are no longer in place for imported ethanol. It should also be noted that there is no connection found between ethanol and the kenedy assasination, teen pregnancy rates, alzheimers, lower math scores in shool age children, and almost anything else that might possibly be attributed to the evils of using ethanol blended fuel.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I listened to an audio clip at www.mikeroweworks.com which is a website run by or at least for Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs.  Listen to his audio of an address he made to the FFA about how much concern the farmers he has been around show towards the proper treatment of their animals, and concerns for food safety, as well as environmental concerns.  He said what I was thinking, better than I ever could have.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Consumers, we are on your side.  In the spring and fall when we`re slowing down traffic we are sorry, we try and travel at low peak times and pull into a driveway as quick as we can.  Please keep politicans in check to not put burdensome regulations on us, I can put in my own electrical outlet for Pete sakes.  Ethanol is good, you`re intelligent do your own homework, don`t believe the propaganda from EWG and other anti-farmer groups.   Enjoy a ribeye on the grill tonght!  Be with your family and taste the best, safest food on the planet.

Senior Advisor

My message to our customers. Most farmers or at least the noisy ones think you are over paid lazya$$ed louts and don't deserve what you are getting. They actually campaign against you and vote for people that will set you back. Your standard of living is way too high.

On the other hand there are a couple of us that appreciate what you do and how kindly you have been toward agriculture both supporting crop subsidies and federal crop insurance.

I hope your circumstances improve and a robust economy will develop that will give you employment and even wage and benefit improvement. Some of us realize that you are our best customers for food and fiber and we are striving mightly to convince our compadres to rethink their animosity against their customers.

One of the few voices from ag country, that wants you to do well and share in the promise of america. Lonesome Don from IA/OK

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

In our haste to become more sophisticated people we concentrate on our personal interests and vocations.  Technology and industrialization have given us the "blessing" of abundant food with fewer of us devoted to production.  This has allowed our society to evolve into an amazingly creative and productive culture.  We are at a point where most of the population does not worry about the source or availability of food.

We in Agriculture ask you to take time to study and make wise decisions in your food choices as we strive to provide high quality, healthy products for your consumption.  We produce what you choose.  We know that you are presented with many fads, diets, opinions. and trends.  Many will make the choices for you to sell their services.  We need you to make your choices wisely.  We are partners in the nourishment of our society.  You write the menu and we supply the ingredients.  We need to rely on each other.  For the safety and health of all.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

in addition. High fructose corn syrup is sugar, no better or worse that the "natural" sugar that is squeezed out of sugar cane or sugar beets.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jeff, this week, my son is working in Ethiopia, assisting the efforts of a foundation that feeds people in need.  They are organizing an effort to grow food for the neediest people, most who have AIDS, mothers with children who are infected and have no means to acquire food of any type and also cannot afford the vaccine for a chance at surviving this awful disease.  Odds of the mothers surviving are slim.  Their children become orphans, infected and living without anyone to care for them and feed them.  They have a chance at a reasonably healthy life, if they receive the treatment that they need.

I look at our abundance and cannot help but be thankful that we have any food we desire while they are struggling to find food and are dying by the hundreds and thousands every day.  We (Americans) complain about obesity, about our lack of "nutritious, healthy food."  We argue over which is best, "Organic" farming or "traditional" agriculture.  However, that argument is muted by the overwhelming starvation we see in the third world countries that are run by despotic dictators and corrupt regimes.  Civil wars and oppression steals the food from the poor who have no ability to fend for themselves.

Consumers and ag folks, let's put aside our petty differences and go about this business of agriculture and show the world that starvation is unacceptable.  We cannot afford to waste our precious resources while people are dying.  Let's use what we have, where we have it, with whatever style of agriculture we have been blessed with, and be the best people we can be.

Honored Advisor

For the most part, Americans place food security in the "given' category.   What hunger that does exist here is, I feel,  mostly an issue of lack of information as to how to obtain available aid. 

I would venture that the avarage working family of four spends as much or more on "connectedness" - cell phones, cable, their ISP, mobile data access, etc. - as it does on food prepared and consumed at home.  People have a skewed perception of what their food costs, when so many meals are consumed in food service settings. 

I LOVE crab cakes...will order them anywhere I know to have decent ones.  Yet, the dinner for four that we will serve tomorrow evening with homemade crab cakes will be at the same cost of one plate I'd buy out, even at the local tavern.   

I figure that any meal that I can buy out cheap isn't usually all that nutritious, as a rule of thumb...all-you-can-eat eateries generally are heavy on inexpensive carbs.  Shifts in percentage of breading to meat at KFC famously cost a lot of their bird growers  a ton of money. 

This is a lot of how we have both kept people fed and made them fat:cheap carbohydrates.  Couple that with portion distortion, and it's easy to see why people have skewed perceptions about food in our country.   

0 Kudos