cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

AgPoll: Minding your data

Given the national news, thoughts can turn to one's own privacy issues. And, there is also the issue of who helps one manage all the data collected on the farm. So here goes... Thoughts? Thanks. -- John 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: AgPoll: Minding your data

Farm data, I`m not all that concerned about, because farms are basically factories without walls.  A machinery dealer, I`m sure knows your credit rating and stuff and that`s fine.  If your honest with a crop advisor, they can better help you.  The USDA, who cares, they take info that they collect and use it to make a cheap food policy regardless.  Big shots are the ones that have to watch what they say, if they`re paying $500 rent on one farm and only $200 for the farm across the road, that could lead to a cascading problem.  My pet peeve is at a social gathering a non-farmer will ask how many acres you farm? How many you own? How much did you pay for your combine? ect.  I`m sure they`re just making small talk but it`s very rude.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

BA  Deere :  If that kind of question comes too me.....the answer always is..." I can tell you BUT THEN I have to kill you " Are you sure you really want to know ?????   John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

There is also the growing matter of contract ag, and the data interface between growers and integrators, for example. We probably aren't giving much anywhere near proprietary information; but our integrating company owns its own animal genetics, formulates a lot of its own vet inputs, and Heaven knows what else.

We keep tightlipped, except among our own kind...it is a small fraternity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Do we share with landlords and tenants?  If I were renting my land out, I would insist on the tenant providing me certain information.  It would be a deal breaker if they refused.

I'd want to know varieties and population planted, fertility levels and fertilizer added, yield and any issues like disease that might affect yield or farm value.

As a tenant, I have shared that information with my landlord.

0 Kudos