cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

AgPoll: Most embarrassing cell phone ring?

Just for fun.... Any stories?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: AgPoll: Most embarrassing cell phone ring?

This is a story about an embarassing cell moment I witnessed. So, a group of reporters were huddled around a table at the Clay County Fair in northwest Iowa. As a group, we were interviewing former Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman. Right in the middle of her big statement, the reporter, sitting right next to the Secretary, has his cell phone go off. It was a full ring, volume way up, and it rings and rings. For a split second, we all look at him and think surely he is going to reach down and turn the ringer down or shut the phone off. NOPE. With Secretary Veneman trying to talk over the ring, he reaches down and answers the call!!! It was so unbelievable that it was hilarious. I was stunned. Veneman stopped, turned and gave the reporter a look of disbelief. We all had to sit and listen to the reporter's phone conversation, before he eventually ended the call. You might have had to be there. But, let me tell you, it's an embarrassing cell phone moment I'll never forget.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Wasn't quite sure what you meant my that thread title, John. 

I turn DRIOD off in meetings and appointments.  When it's on, I am almost always on Bluetooth, and often mute the ringer, since it signals in the earpiece. 

I think the most embarrassing rings are actually when people choose ringtones with vulgar lyrics, or which are otherwise inappropriate.  I went along with Mike having a Led Zeppelin ring, but told him if he chose one particular one, it had better not ever ring around me.  Not that I am a prude - far from it - but some things can make you look sort of pervy, if heard  coming out of your pocket in public. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No Bunk here John---------good question.

Recently the funniest ones I've heard involve odd musical choices.  But then a lot of things strike me funny.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

One young man I know put "Witchy woman" on his mother cell and called her several times knowing she wouldn't know how to change it.  She still hasn't forgiven him and doesn't like the thing to be on except when she needs to make a call.

My only mistake was laughing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

One time, somebody's cell phone went off during a prayer in church.  The William Tell Overture rang out loud and clear for the entire church to hear.  Kinda funny at the time.  That didn't embarass me not one bit.

On another ocassion at a seminar, the seminar leader had just reminded the audience to silence their cell phones.  About 5 minutes later, his cell phone rang out.  Oops!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Knock on wood, I've never been embarrassed yet.  I am real good at switching my device to vibrate when I am in a situation as such.  However, just in case I ever forget, I always use a standard ringtone so the tone itself won't disrespect myself or anyone else.  I have heard several other people not so lucky.  My biggest peeve is when people get calls during church.  95% of these people don't have high priority jobs to where they cannot turn their phones off for an hour.  Oh well, may not be important to me, but evidently it is to them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Shaggy, If I knew that soemone had their phone on during worship, i would call them. I have texted my brother when he was in church, but he had it on silent. My ring is nickelback's "animals"( i can usually hear it over other work noise), so I definitely don't want that going off during any church service. Truthfully, I lived a good life before cell phones, so if mine is not with me, I will be able to function. I've also tried VERY hard to not answer mine if i'm having a face to face conversation with someone else. They are the most important people at the time.

Highlighted
Advisor

One of my pet peeves is people who interrupt any conversation and take a phone call.  I understand there are exceptions to this, like an unexpected call from a spouse, child, EMS, doctors, school officials, etc., but if these are not real emergencies, the person can tell them the call will be returned in a specified time frame.  The one receiving the call needs to exercise discretion and respect in determining what to do.  I.e., respectfully telling the person, "I need to take this call.  Can you wait a minute or so?", or tell the caller, "Can I call you back in 5 (or 10) minutes?"

Even worse is the store clerk that interrupts serving you to take a call.  I'm sure the employer demands that he/she does this, but if that regularly happens, I will let them know it is not only rude, but presumptious on their part that tlheir actions jepoardizes their sale to me.  A certain sale standing in front of the cash register is a better guarantee of a sale than a phone call from somebody else at the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Looked at this yesterday and could not think of any time mine has ever embarrassed me.

Like others posted I have been good at turning it off or on vibrate when in meetings.

Don't attend church so have that covered.

Was at a field demostration one time when a group of about 6 of us were chatting in a circle.

A phone rang out in a loud distinctive standard phone ring and I think we all check our pocket to see if it might be our own.

Obviously in many farming situations that loud jangling ring is still the preferred.

One of daughters has crickets chirp on hers. Hardly hear it let alone know it was a phone.

0 Kudos