cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: AgPoll: Most embarrassing cell phone ring?

I use an earpiece so often I'll be talking to someone as I walk down the street or in the grocery aisle and people look at me like I'm even weirder than I am.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

A sales person answering a ringing phone is one thing, if they put the caller on hold, or offer to return the call later...stopping assistance to an in-store customer to go check stock or otherwise prioritize the telephone caller is another.  I am a slave to the rule of first in line...probably my history as a kindergarten teacher, and thus the need to teach a lot of children to take turns. 

I rarely speak out in a customer situation, but breaking the rule of turns is one where I will assert myself immediately, and generally without exception.  Had a clerk take up my transaction last month, after I had waited for two men in line ahead of me to be helped.  Then, she turned to ring out people who had just walked up on the other side of her station. 

I said. "Excuse me, Ma'am, but could you please complete my transaction before you start theirs?"  This sullen B turned around and muttered under her breath, "Some people get on my nerves."  I could hear it, and read her lips saying it as well, so I was certain she said it. 

There is a phrase I learned when we moved to Carolina eighteen years ago.  Women here will say: "Hell flew into me." 

Now, I know how that feels. 

Her supervisor walked up and I expressed my displeasure...not in any loud or profane way, but definitively.  Evidently, she had one issue too many, because I don't see her there anymore.   

Mike's funniest story about someone on a headset on his cell phone was in the men's room at the I-95 rest stop between here and our VA farms.  The guy at the urinal next to him was talking away, which he found very disconcerting.  He didn't know if the guy was addressing him, or his "junk."  It was only after the man turned to walk away that he saw his headset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Well, at least he didn't hold his phone with his shoulder while doing his business, and then not wash his hands afterwards.  :-) 

It happened to me much the same way you described, too.  I even replied back because it was an introductory conversation, like, "How's it going?"  When he interrupted me, I realized it wasn't as it first seemed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Funny you should say that, I actually grabbed my phone and was going thru the contact list to find some one to call during church, It was at the very moment that I thought I found someone when my teenage son leans over and whispers in my ear "If I can't use my phone during church, what makes it OK for you?"  I guess he had me right where he wanted me so I put my phone away.  Another prime opportunity slipped away that left me wondering the rest of the day.

0 Kudos