cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Walter
Advisor

AgPoll: Purchasing pickup trucks

To be up front about this poll, it should be noted that the results will be useful in communicating farmer attitudes to advertisers. So here goes, and thanks for your opinion:

0 Kudos
11 Replies
smokeyjay
Advisor

Re: AgPoll: Purchasing pickup trucks

My vote is qualified; I'm not in the "new" pickup crowd.  I buy used, with about 50k miles on them.  Run them to over 220k and get another one.  The key is finding a truck that's been well cared for and keeping up regular maintenance and oil changes/lube jobs, etc..

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You have to start withstood truck to start with, either way. We had always been diehard Ford family, SIL is a certified Fird tech. Even Hejaz about given up on them...their last car is a nice, used Chrysler 300. I switched to Mazda for the lasypt car, and Mike picked a Dodge 3500 dually for his last truck purchase. The Ford Powerstroke engine had been problematic for several model years. Dodge had Delia el Ummins diesels. There were significant turbo issues with two Fords straight that the kids owned. we ended up talking to. Friend who pulls trucks, and he said that there were virtually no Fords in competitions, a couple of Chevy/ GMCs and the overwhelming majority were Rams. Mike's is a really nice, comfortable truck. We are happy with the decision.
0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

I usually drive Chevies or GMC.  Rented a Ford back in the 70s and swore it would be the last.  Ford gas trucks are doing better here than before.  Friends have switched from GM to them the last time around.  GM weakness is drive train axle, rear end issues, poor brakes with disc brakes on rear, which wears out fast.  Engines are better than before with no heating problems with the last one, plus runs well without using oil even after 200k.

My 1500 runs about 21 mpg on highway.  A trip to VA averaged above that.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Must have been downhill both ways....
0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

Smokey...I've always done exactly the same. I drove several 3/4 ton chevies, but have switched to ford after the gm bailout. i doubt that my used pickup purchasing habits will have a large effect on the US auto industry. rightnow have an '02 ford 250 regular cab, 'bout 118,000 miles.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I have two trucks and RePlace one when it wears out. I buy used and get what seems to be the biggest bargain I can find. I currently have a 86 ram 150 which I call the gutless wonder. Geared for highway travel running empty, it can't pull much, but gets about 20 MPG running empty since I had a buddy of mine good with carbs give it a tune up. If you drive with a heavy foot, it shifts out of low around 40-45 depending how hard you are pressing, but is OK for running around. I got it for $1500 6 or 7 years ago, and only replaced the water pump and brakes. My other truck is a 1994 Ram 2500 with the cummins diesel. Pulls good, and the one time I went a full tank of fuel without a trailer behind it in the 10+ years I owned it, I got 22.5 MPG. It is old enough it Still has e all mechanical injection system. I got a Cummins becau I got a heck of a buy, and I knew a guy that put over 700,000 miles on his with no engine work. I figure I still should get 30 or 35 years out of mine, at that rate. A friend who got a new 6.0 Powerstroke had his in the shop at 6 months of age, than my Ram has total. One reason I like to buy used is you can do Internet searches and find if the Virchow you are looking at is known for any weaknesses.
0 Kudos
farmandfire
Veteran Contributor

I buy used trucks with 5k to 20 k miles on them. We plow snow with them commercially and they get a beating with the plows on the front. I have had all the main manufacturers but Dodge hold the best luck so far. You can not kill a Cummins motor. I hate that they are made in Mexico. The one thing that is really dissapointing is the mileage of the new diesels. I bought a 2011 Ram and it would only get 10-12mpg empty and 6-8mpg with a load on it. took it in and they could not find anything wrong with it. They commented that it is the new "norm" for diesels. The problem is they have these things so choked up with emmision junk that they can't breath and burn more fuel due to the "regeneration process". Thats just dandy. cleaner air but lets burn twice the fuel. A few mods and now the truck gets 14-16mpg towing and 20+ empty.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

If you know where to look on the block, you can see where the Cummins was made.  Some of them are US made, and some are made in Mexico.  There have been a few problems with the Mexican blocks cracking, but not with the US ones.  Apparently, Cummins was having trouble keeping up with demand for the engines, and couldn't reach an agreement with the Union, and so opened a plant in Mexico.  However, it appears that in Mexico, they don't use quite as good a grade of iron for the block, and they occasionally crack.  The owner usually notices an oil leak that they can't really locate, and that is the problem.  I read about this researching before I bought my Cummins at www.turbodieselregister.com  They also have a list of common problems, or things to look out for, for the various model years.

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Oh yeah!  🙂  All through missouri, kentucky, west virginia and the shenandoah (sp) valley.  I go uphill, then downhill going there, and uphill and downhill coming back.  🙂

0 Kudos