cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

AgPoll: What's your New Year's resolution?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: AgPoll: What's your New Year's resolution?

I`m combining the last 2 of resolving to "have more fun with my family", everything on the list above those  kind of takes care of itself.   I`m a poor marketer, but I don`t really care, it all works out  Smiley Happy

I always raise good yields, but now with lower prices, I don`t see how yields will get better on the whole because there will be less discrectionary money to spend on the foo-foo dust that gets you the extra "12 bushel per acre". 

I think that the last 5 years in farming have been a real gift to us and that`s why every past morning you that woke up and corn market was $7, you just really had to stop smell the roses and rejoice in it because you knew it couldn`t last forever.

Now with facing a more realistic market, it`s still twice what it was in 2005 with the LDPs (lower damned prices). With farm management, locked in low interest rates there`s no concern to go nuts and "pay everything off" but rather just not take on new debt and "sidle" towards the exit sign before there`s a mad rush to get out of the theater.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

It looks like so far, more than half want to have a better life in one form or another.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Given that I am hardly without at least one member of my family for more than an hour or two, I have opted for more exercise. The last month or do, dealing with this busted spot in my backbone, has been very destructive to my muscle tone...wanting back into the do jhang so bad it hurts!
0 Kudos
Advisor

I am always trying to be a better marketer, raise better crops, etc., but I have put off getting more exercise.  I'm still quite healthy for my age, but I have to work harder at staying healthy as time passes.  So, that's my story....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smokey, my thinking is that if we don't take care of ourselves, all the money in the world won't save us, and all the good intentions to spend time with loved ones, just will not materialize. Make sense to you?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

In retrospect, the last five years will be both a gift and a curse, I think. Some folks will have made wise decisions, knowing the uptick on the price cycle wasn't a permanent on. Others will have made foolish choices, thinking that things had taken a total paradigm shift.
I have really worried about this issue in a way, but I think it is part of the evolution of agriculture. The strong survive.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes, Kay, it does make sense.  BTW, I've already lost 34.5 lbs of the 50 I knew did not need to be along for the ride.  Making progress, one bit/or bite at a time.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good job!
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Boy all I can say is - I guess I'm just plain old lucky - I read this tread the other day - and been thinking on it - no I'm not joking- i have been trucking in corn and beans and that ='s alot of time to think - and I just can't come up with anything I need or should change - but that's just me - I won't ask my wife if she has any ideas on me  - if you know what I mean Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos