cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

AgPoll: Your view of the farm bill?

Not sure if I have the responses aligned properly here, but just interested in some farmer feedback. Thoughts? Thanks. - John

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: AgPoll: Your view of the farm bill?

I think all farmers will be hurt if they do split up Food Stamps and the Farm Programs. I recieve around $80,000 per year from the taxpayer to pay my Crop Insurance and $40,000 a year in Direct Payments. To be honest, if I lose all $120,000 a year in Taxpayer money it will affect my farm operation's cash flow very much.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I agree with splitting the farm bill and nutrition title.  We all know that one of the reasons money gets wasted in Wasahington is because of all the little riders on bills.  Senator X slips in a bridge to nowhere and Senator Y adds an airport.  When we view each item individually, it often doesn't earn th support of the majortiy and for good reason.

If SNAP is a worthy cause, it will pass.  If farm subsidies are good for the nation, they'll pass.  This doesn't mean the votet on them will always go the way the target audience wishes, 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It is really hard to believe you need that much welfare to keep your little operation going ! You need better management !

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I know I am repeatative but the plan of the proposing legislators is to divide and conquer. Split the farm bill off of the food bill will result in not enough support for either one of the proposals. Few urban legislators favoring farm policy and few rural legislators favoring food support.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

There is always the rant about to much  $$$$ spent and the need to cut taxes -  "political will " from either side of the isle is very short supply with the talk already being we don'y want to look unfavorable at election time by holding up this legislation ---

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: AgPoll: Your view of the farm bill// JCCWIS- My ROI RATIO

JCCWIS- I measure how well I run my Farm Operation on my Return on Investment Ratio. It has been a high ratio of well over 10%, and that is using the current Iowa farmland price for good-quality dirt of $12,500/acre.

0 Kudos