cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Agriculture Wtih No Farm Bill/$42/acre in Subsidies

RSW, that crop insurance subsidy is a moving target. It is not the same for all iowa producers. The higher levels ,75%-85%, are subsidized at a higher rate than the 50-65 levels. If this is the case, you can't say we all get $42.

0 Kudos
Advisor

RSW - Ag-web . . . what is that?  Isn't that the site that recently died?  I think it is located in Mexico Missouri, and ran by a bunch of little girls, and a fella named Gulke, who whines all the time about his 2,000 acre corn field in Illinois not producing this year.  If he follows his own advice he should be broke by now.  

Then the Unprofessional Farmers who use 30 ft. ropes to measure yield in cornfields with 30 inch rows, when most of us know the rope should only be 15.5 ft. long, and last but not least Corn College wher the main course of study is digging root pits, and having the equipment girl tell seasoned farmers how to farm.  Give me a break!.  

I like being on a site that has a few Iowans on it, and in most cases is void of the animosity that exists towards other posters and who invade posters personal lives and in your case stalk you and your family.  Of course that is the way I saw it! I like it here!   LMAO!   John

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If you do just the math from that post and the above-quoted per acre insurance subsidy, you yield roughly the price of the Lexus in government support to crop insuracne.  Taxpayers who see this kind of an example would have a right to be outraged.

Honored Advisor

Re: Agriculture With No Farm Bill

Those days appear to be over...i agree there has been benefit; but, then, what other endusers did you guys have but birds and pigs?  

My point is hat integration and vertical integration in animal ag may be the model for drop production, too, if support programs end completely.  It happened in most of animal ag, and I think it would happen in cropping.

Let 's just look at a company like our integrator, which has chosen over the years to forgo insurance on its chattel of swine.  They are so big, any loss in one or two spots was still a drop in the bucket.  They even self- insured for employee health benefits, and as far as I know, still do.  

If cropping loses program safety nets, it stands to reason that smaller operations suffering disasters would fall out of the game, their assets in land picked up by those able to eat their losses.  This turns into a sort of pyramid scheme by default over time.  Bigger fish eating up smaller ones...and there is almost always a bigger fish.  

Again, just my thoughts. Big companies that need raw materials and markets make for some strange relationships and arrangements.  We farmers have been politically correct poster children for a lot of shenanigand to go on for a long time...when we lose our victim of the elements luster, and are villianized by enough propaganda, we will move into despised status, alongside the gun manufacturers.

0 Kudos
Contributor

And I thought it was garbage that a political party was giving out cell phones to voters, here we have a gov. happilly giving Richard a lexus, lmao.  Just another waste of government money,  Price floors, fine, some protection, fine, but the billions spent funnelling money to those who don't need it in the ag sector is just plain foolishness.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I base my observation that reearchers study what the federal government funds based on private conversations with the ISU Extension Director and a UI Public Health official reinforced by my observations of what those two instititusions are doing research on.

According to them, the bottom line on research is you need grants.  Either you get the grant from a company like Monsanto or Pioneer or Bayer or whomever, or you get the money from the feds.  The feds are funding things like water quality, safety and cellulosic ethanol, as opposed to basic soybean research.  

I see the same theme of grants chasing federal money in my two recent family member experiences, one doing software with the University of Washington for the Coast Guard and the other doing medical research.  Of all of these, the medical research grants are the one's most palatable to me as a common citizen.

If you are able to get the feds to pony up some money to augment mainstream ag research, good for you.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Several interesting observations in one paragraph:

"Then the Unprofessional Farmers who use 30 ft. ropes to measure yield in cornfields with 30 inch rows, when most of us know the rope should only be 15.5 ft. long, and last but not least Corn College wher the main course of study is digging root pits, and having the equipment girl tell seasoned farmers how to farm. Give me a break!.  "

Cheating on contests has probably been around since there was a contest.  If one uses a rope that is 15.5' long on 30" rows, one has to be careful to multiply the result by 1.13, since the usual basis for 1/1000th of an acre is 17.5 feet on 30" rows.

Studying root development seems prettly logical to me, since in 2012 we know that roots went down as deep as 8' chasing subsoil moisture.  It kind of makes a point that root growth potential is directly related to yield potential, since if the root can't grow down it can't tap all the nutrients.  I still remember my uncle telling me how alfalfa was used to break up alkali hardpan in Nevada so so that they could subsequently grow other crops.

Yeah, you got to watch out for those "equipment girls".  Some of them actually think they know what they are talking about.  Some people refuse to fly on airplanes flown by female pilots, although women have flown the U-2, SR-71, space ships and about evertyhing else we can think of.   I've taught three women to fly and they all had a good hand when it came to airplane operation.  I'd have to expect each of those three could have operated or set a corn planter or combine.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jim, apparently the reality you see in Iowa is different than in wheat producing states. While some money comes in from those sources you mention, it is not as large nor a dominant source.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Kay, we have cattle that consumes much of the crops plus we have the domestic food industry. Half of all wheat produced goes into domestic food products. Every single customer has benefited from the federal investment.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sorry if I was unclear on that pont, Jim...I thought by saying "poultry and swine", more contract production was implied.  

0 Kudos