cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Alan Guebert on Carter Grain Embargo

I have written about this in my column in another publication.  Though there may have been some support for the embargo, it was muted.  Rather, commodity groups representing farmers promoting export trade were in opposition to it.  The author also gives too much credit to the current growing economic crisis, and minimizes the radically impacted exports from the USA, due to the circumventing of trade restrictions by allied countries, selling embargoed commodities to Russia, thus deepening the trade deficit and lowered market prices.  The embargo did all of that.  Agriculture’s reputation as a reliable trading partner was damaged.  Farmers lost billions in the growing crisis. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

BA, that pre-1917 wheat your ancestors imported from Russia likely came from the Ukraine at the time, where my ancestors lived until 1874.  A remnant remained farming in Russia’s breadbasket.  My ancestors emigrated to the USA, bringing with them Turkey Red wheat, the prominent variety developed and propagated by them in the Ukraine.

Honored Advisor

Interesting, Smokey.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

As I understand it, Carter implemented the embargo because Russia invaded Afghanistan, that shouldn`t have hurt our reputation as a reliable supplier, because most customer countries aren't focused on world domination as the Soviets were.  

0 Kudos
Advisor

But the competing countries did end runs around the sanctions the USA and our allies agreed to.  They looked the other way when their own traders violated the sanctions.  In the meantime, they also increased business with other customers at our expense.  We lost an incredible amount of market share.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The   SO  Called  Walmart  Junk  isn't  being  a  tariff  target  yet  -  sooooo    -  next   excuse ?

0 Kudos
Advisor

You forget the bean tariffs and on other ag products. Can you say cash market decline?  A 3 billion hit, just in beans, this year.  Market psychology added.  Welcome.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thanks Smokey for the Carter clarification.
I liked and voted for him. If he had a fault, he was too easy on those who were willing to lie to him. (Those who did not stand with us after promising to.). It’s one of those times when we remember the political smears rather than truth of the time— like the effect on small business(family farms) of 18% interest, both in terms of increased costs and land sales.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We are too soft to trade well internationally.
I find it interesting what folks will do to negotiate for a used car or the neighbors garage sale items and can’t handle some tough negotiations on international trade.
The US economy market is and has been, so important to many countries of the world. We are a big customer to the world, manufacturers need customers far more than customers need stuff.
We were fools to build those foreign economies so cheaply for them. When our US companies moved production to Mexico why did US consumers think cheaper stuff was worth the trade of lost local economy? We won’t even favor US agriculture in the grocery.....when it is well marked.
I for one wish one of the largest meat packers in the US was not owned by a Brazilian company, but it probably shows how poor we are at negotiating commerce.
0 Kudos