cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Amazon Want SNAP Customers

SNAP recipients can't use their electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card to buy online now, the news story says, but is expected to be able to in the future.  Amazon is lowering the cost of Prime for those using EBT.

What is this going to do to the grocery market?  Will other than groceries be in the EBT bag?  What does this mean to retailing for those who cater to EBT customers?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Re: Amazon Want SNAP Customers

A bigger question in my mind is how will amazon's purchase of Whole Foods affect the grocery market? Will they remain committed to organic,natural,local,or however they define their groceries? Will organic become mainstream to the extent we won't have a market for "conventional" grain,meat,produce,etc?
0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Does anyone really believe organic is organic?

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

First snap can only be used for certain items.
Software will need to be developed to insure
That happens at Amazon

Whole foods....not a big story. The company
Was in trouble. They were called "whole paycheck"
Their prices were very high, and the business did
Not support the model. We're located in urban/metro
Markets, with high levels of disposable income.

They never were an average food retailer

Many, such as Walmart and Kroger already carry
Organic selections
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I agree with Jim,

The future of organic is an expanded definition back to reality....... "relating to or derived from living matter."

the "distinction" created by a usda definition to elevate it as a practice above all others will eventually face reality because the benefits in terms of improved health to society won't support the financial costs.

Unfortunately that lesson will be hardest on those at the production level.  It will never be a big market supporting a 30% increases in costs over the organic production that is most widely practiced world wide(the competition). 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

One problem with organic is that it is very profitable to cheat if you can get away with it, and it looks to me like it's not that hard at the smaller scale.

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Too many people don't know what "organic" is, but have a feeling that if its organic, it must be healthier and better for the environment.  And some are not all that far removed from an agricultural background.  

0 Kudos
julianklajohnst
Contributor

Heya, all! I've recently moved from Idaho to Montana, and it's been a headache since then cause I've been used to utilizing my SNAP funds on Amazon, but now I can't. Apparently, you can't use your SNAP EBT card in Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Montana. Does anyone know the reason for this? And to reply to Jim, trust me, if it's written that it is organic, it must be so according to the regulations. By the way, talking about Amazon and a healthy lifestyle here's a smart body scale https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Smart-Body-Scale-Black/dp/B08XYX8RDR/ I've recently got. It's a must-have, you all!

0 Kudos