cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Animal Farm

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20140102/EDIT07/301029999/1021/edit

A good editorial on the proposed (ALEC written) constitutional amendment to "protect" the right to raise animals, fish and hunt.

As the editorial ably explains, those rights are already protected, this is just another 1984 type power grab whereby all animals (people) may be equal but some are more equal than others.

Particularly odious is the attempt to enlist "hunting and fishing" enthusiasts inot common cause with livestock integrators. Regrettably many of those folks (well, I'm sort of one of them" aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Nevermind that sometimes these activities aren't practiced in a matter that is particularly good for water (fish) and the current political ag climate has greatly depleted wildlife habitat.

I guess they can all hang around the conservation club and compare weapons.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Animal Farm

Are you saying that the livestock integrators, or the hunters aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my experience with hunters has been very good.   I'd MUCH rather have the guys that have been around here before trolling around my land, than a DNR agent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I think the livestock "industry" and ALEC are extremely clever.

The "hunting and fishing" groups have virtually no parallel interest that is served but are easy to co-opt via paranoia about a straw man who is going to take their hunting weapons or outlaw hunting.

I'll submit that neither is even remotely likely to happen.

I'm not sure that I really need to break the code for anyone but in case it is necessary "hunting and fishing" is a code word for gun radicalism.

Which makes even less sense (none at all, in fact) but does happen to be another of ALEC's client groups.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

On the other hand, I'm here in Nebraska, and every year, we have more 'out of State' hunters stopping by to ask if they can hunt.  5 years ago, there was ONE guy from out of State, and he knew my neighbor from time doing military service.   Last year, I had at least 6 or 7.

0 Kudos