cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Any farmland owners that Custom Farm there land on this site?

I am preparing my Custom Farm contracts with the guys I pay to farm for me. I am curious if there are any other farmland owners on here that Custom Farm there acres, rather than just cash-rent it out. If there are, can I ask what you are paying your guys for the 2013 crop year? I am increasing the per acre payment rate by $10/acre for 2013 and am curious what any other Custom Farm guys are paying. Have a feeling there may be no one out there Custom Farming, but thought it was worth a shot in the dark. Thanks.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: Any farmland owners that Custom Farm there land on this site?

Below is the range for Custom Farming in Iowa, as you can see the range is $80 to $160/acre. Pretty good sized variance, so you can see why I am curious on what any other landowners are paying for there Custom Farming rates. Also, I just thought of if any guys are Custom Farming for a landowner and what they are getting paid. Anyway, the range is below from the Iowa State Survey on farm labor for 2012. Thanks!!!

2012 Iowa Farm

Custom Rate Survey

Custom Farming (tillage, planting, pest control and harvesting)

Average Range

Corn, / acre $119.80 80.00 - 160.00

Soybeans, / acre 105.70 50.00 - 150.00

Small grain, / acre 88.05 75.00 - 100.00

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I did some custom farming for a couple of years but haven't for quite a while.  When I did it, I still did some stuff myself, like spraying and mowing.  Therefore, I just looked at each separate job on it's own.  It might be easier to look at it that way.

0 Kudos
JDFARMER12
Contributor

I custom farm land in North central Illinois..

Field Operations are:

--- (Soybeans) = No-till drill beans into last years corn stalks, 2 pass Herbicide spraying, Harvest beans and deliver crop to Elevator

--- (Corn) = 1 pass -field cultivate bean stubble,Plant corn, 2 pass Herbicide spraying, Harvest Corn and deliver crop to Elevator.

On Farm #1 -- the custom payment is $88.00 per acre for corn and $62.00 / acre for beans.

On Farm #2 -- the custom payment is $92.00 per acre for Corn and $65.00 / acre for beans

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: Custom Farm/JDFARMER/Jim Meade-Thanks!!!

Hey JDFARMER and Jim, thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate you taking time to answer my question. Sounds like you are in the range for Custom Farming. Anyway from $80 to $160/acre is still a big range and that is why I was asking.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I won't divulge that information. It is private information and if I did divulge it I would be making public my farmer's private business information. That simply isn't right.

You do have access to the states of iowa custom rate schedule and those rates include the high the low and the average. That should be enough information for you unless you are wondering if you are paying too much . If you are making $800 per acre, I would keep the same arrangement.

0 Kudos
Faust100F
Advisor

Re: Custom Farm/JDFARMER/Jim Meade-Thanks!!!

rsw - here is how that $80 to $160 is allocated in Iowa.

North of Highway 20 -  $160 an acre

Between Highway 30  and Highway 20  -$150 an acre

North of I-80 to Highway 30 - $140 an acre

North of Hiway 92 to I-80 - $120

North of Highway 34 to Highway 92  $100 an acre

North of Highway 2 to Highway 34 $90 an acre

South of Highway 2 to the Iowa Missouri line - $80

Hope this helps, I really think the rate in Cerro Gordo county should be about $250 an acre or $1 a bushel based on proven yield.  I mean . . . you can see how these custom farm rates decline as you move South in Iowa, of course . . .  if these rates were the IQ of farmers in these areas they would be reversed starting with 80 North of Hwy 20.  You know I think the IQ drops to 70 when the Minnesota line is crossed.  

Hope this helps out.  Of course . . . this is private information taken directily from my "top secret" file locked in my bank deposit box.  Now the custom farmers can start getting paid what the really deserve.  No Charge for this information.      LMAO!   John

0 Kudos
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

Re: Custom Farm/Faust- LMAO!!!!!!!

Faust- I am laughing so hard I can barely type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
minnisota
Veteran Contributor

Just  a question or two bout custom farming. Do you have the figures on what you don't have to pay for by custom farming including depreciation fuel costs.  What  isthe  cost for the custom farmer. I see you figure if your still making $800 an acre it's a good deal is that gross per acre? What equipment don't you have to buy by custom farming? Just trying to figure out the numbers. Seems like if ya don't have to plant and harvest that's a lot of tractor time you can save and concentrate on more inportant things rather in the cab. What other benefits are there?  

0 Kudos
minnisota
Veteran Contributor

0 Kudos