cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

Are American children still used in farm labor?

Are these children still provided the same level of education opportunitya s non-farm children?

I understand the Amish limit their children's education.

What are the US laws regarding American minors in ag labor? 

Farm work can entail special hazards as exposure to chemical fertilizers, aggressive male animals as bulls,

and harvesting machinery with dangerous moving parts. There are also the hazards of working in inclement weather.

Tractors can turn over. 

At the least the Amish shun chemical fertilizers as do organic farms. 

0 Kudos
18 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Are American children still used in farm labor?

Putting strict limits on non-family kids that were under the age of 16 was a big issue in 2012, by ahem a certain administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/opinion/pitting-child-safety-against-the-family-farm.html?_r=0  

My Dad said if a kid didn`t learn how to work by the time he was 16, he was worthless.  So, that was pretty hard  to teach the work ethic if kids were restricted like that.  when I grew up there was never enough kids in the neighborhood to handle square bales, load hogs, shell corn haul silage loads.  Now, about the only work a kid is good for on the farm is the computer stuff    🙂

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Jon bout all public schools teach is free sex, and

drugs w rap supposed music.

get off your high horse and home school....plenty DO.

0 Kudos
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

Appropriate farm work for underage children might be:

1. cleaning out the barn

2. milking cows

3. farm house chores

4. gathering eggs from the hen house

5. no work in extreme hot or cold weather

6. feeding and watering the stock

7. cleaning the animals' bedding areas

Underage farm children should never operate tractors and combines and the like. 

They should not be near aggressive male animals as bulls. They should never work in the sun

when it is above 80 degrees out. 

Farm children should never be exposed to chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

Evey time I drive into a modern farming community, I have to have my windows

rolled up and my car a/c turned on. There is bad stuff in the air with bad smells accompanying it: I get

serious asthma attacks near farms.

I champion organic farming as it is much safer for farm workers and produces more wholesome food

for consumers.  

Children working on family farms strictly operated by their folks are probably much better protected than children

working on farms as hired hands, such farms being owned and operated by other people than by their folks. 

0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Are these children still provided the same level of education opportunitya s non-farm children?

I understand the Amish limit their children's education.

What are the US laws regarding American minors in ag labor? 

Farm work can entail special hazards as exposure to chemical fertilizers, aggressive male animals as bulls,

and harvesting machinery with dangerous moving parts. There are also the hazards of working in inclement weather.

Tractors can turn over. 

At the least the Amish shun chemical fertilizers as do organic farms. 

Not nearly as dangerous as the kids spending time in town in the park. The habits they pick up their can destroy them for a life time. I have told my daughter no matter where they go or what they do in life they will be the only girls in the room who held the end of a snare while their dad pinched rings into the sows nose. The lessons they learned and bruises they endured in that farrowing house will serve them well for the rest of their lives.

0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Appropriate farm work for underage children might be:

1. cleaning out the barn

2. milking cows

3. farm house chores

4. gathering eggs from the hen house

5. no work in extreme hot or cold weather

6. feeding and watering the stock

7. cleaning the animals' bedding areas

Underage farm children should never operate tractors and combines and the like. 

They should not be near aggressive male animals as bulls. They should never work in the sun

when it is above 80 degrees out. 

Farm children should never be exposed to chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

Evey time I drive into a modern farming community, I have to have my windows

rolled up and my car a/c turned on. There is bad stuff in the air with bad smells accompanying it: I get

serious asthma attacks near farms.

I champion organic farming as it is much safer for farm workers and produces more wholesome food

for consumers.  

Female animals protecting their young are way more dangerous than male animals and bulls.

0 Kudos
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

Male animals have greater strength, mass and muscle and are hard to handle

when they are uncastrated as they are highly spirited. This is especially true for bulls and stallions. The male

pigs have the sharp tusks and can inflict great injury. 

I am not affraid of any cow with a calf or any mare with a foal. 

A farrowing sow might be nasty I have heard. 

0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Male animals have greater strength, mass and muscle and are hard to handle

when they are uncastrated as they are highly spirited. This is especially true for bulls and stallions. The male

pigs have the sharp tusks and can inflict great injury. 

I am not affraid of any cow with a calf or any mare with a foal. 

A farrowing sow might be nasty I have heard. 

If you think a brood cow has neither the desire or strength to kill to protect its calf you are sorely mistaking.

0 Kudos
wcmifarmer
Contributor

There are quite a few Amish children around this area that are missing toes. They may be to young to handle the farm work, but they are old enough to mow the grass. A small child backing up a push-mower will result in missing toes.

It doesn't matter whether organic, Amish, or conventional. If there is not enough supervision things can go wrong.

I am a firm believer that the best way to learn is hands on. Farm safety is best learned young. Some things are hard to teach from a book.
0 Kudos
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

I probably would have my trained dog to guard me from the mother if I had to get near her calf.

I saw "Old Yeller". 

I am sure more than one farmer or rancher has had his dog for safety working around livestock. 

0 Kudos