Did you mean: 
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Hopefully SO, Sounds good if some are

nt

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Are American children still used in farm labor?

I don't think this bailey guy is for real.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

FYI:Google " age-appropriate farm chires for children". The lists you will get at given ages are better guidelines than you can imagine.

We had our children help, as safety and common sense allowed. Grandson is three, already knows a lot about animals, equipment, etc. His preschool teacher says he arrives and starts " fixing things"!

My theory is children would rather work than play...they know work is " important". There is, of coutse, a fine line between involving them and exploiting them.
0 Kudos
wcmifarmer
Contributor

Well said Kay.
0 Kudos
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

i lived in Novato, California. There are surronding rolling grassy hills and milk cows all up in the hills where I used to hike with my dogs. There were public trails and gates. There were signs warning about being aware of free-ranging bulls but never about cows with calfs. The areas where free-ranging bull signs were posted were on fences whereby the property was closed to the public anyway. The public was not allowed into areas with free-ranging bulls. These cows were black and white Holsteins. North Marin and Sonoma Counties are dairy country. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

If your basing your judgement on the presence of the warning signs you see along a public trail you are witnessing reduced liability labels at best which have absolutely nothing to do with farm labor and farm safety.  Agriculture animals are just that, they are not pets no madder how tame they become.  We can train on and safe guard nearly every square inch of farm property and machinery on any given farm, but there is nothing we can do about stupidity of the uneducated public.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

When we had a bull, it was always the most gentle animal on the farm. If not it went to someone else's farm. (Bailey, that means we sold any agresive bull we owned). Don't know anyone who uses anything other than a tractor or skid steer to clean barns. Dairy cows don't have calves.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Operating tractors and combines in a mile long by mile wide flat field is much safer than some of the other things on your list. There are very few adults I would trust to run a $300000 combine. A well trained "kid" who makes good decisions would be better than 99% of adults. Bailey I hope you are gaining some perspective from what we try to communicate to you here. Seems you just believe what you see on television or read in some book. Most of it seems a few decades behind the times.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

California .................... that explains it.   Opinions based on opinions of others opinions.    and No experience.

0 Kudos