cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Are windmills causing our beeped up weather?

Logistical  trail   has  got  my  curiosity  attention    -   8000  miles seems a bit of  a  jaunt for a Valencia citrus ,  and  the   ''''  unthinkable  '''' of having  a  label  to  boot  -   -   - 

ISN'T  this  an  a  continent  with  major  malnutrition ?     

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Malnutrition is marketed much the same as citrus.
and profitably.
I have neighbors who ship dogs to Denver for recycling. I have the same gut reaction as citrus and malnutrition.

When did world malnutrition and hunger become profit centers?
The worlds poor will always be there.
289. I have the same twist of gut when I watch good people fly off to “the world” yet won’t treat a patient here unless he has insurance or gets sick after 5pm.
Or change anyone’s oil at 4:45 on Friday afternoon, — yet plan their vacation around rebuilding a school in Haiti.

—————
On the subject. African agriculture as I saw it in South Africa, Has no country of origin if anything it is European ag.— finances and contracted to the highest bidder for export. Natives get the leftovers & unsellables at local markets.
It is “at sea” controlled by an international marketer well before harvest. Local “Dole-one example” financed farmers use the cheap poor to harvest, pack, and ship direct from the “farm” to the docks. The only investment by the mega food marketers was a local contracting agent working out of a private home on commission and their trained agronomist consultant.

I was there 12 years ago.
IMO— it is the future for US agriculture thanks to our “world vision” leaders the last 20 years and their anti USA trade policies (are part of what is drying up small town mid America.) Technology and “amazon” mentality will drive the mid US to contract farming for the rich corporations who finance crops and elections. Yet they have no home country offiliation. International community of rich stockholders who live where they choose and pay taxes where they choose.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The wind generators causing climate

Change !!!!

That's plain nuts

Go back years ago when we pumped

Most of our water with windmills.

Chances are other things are driving

Climate change...funny department of

Defense consider it a threat...someone

Else orders government websites

Scrub for climate change research.

All I know over 6 inches of rain,

Tonight lows in mid 20's, rain turning

To snow, 2 to 4 inches..20 to 30

Mph winds....all of this odd this

Time of year.

Wheat still to be drilled, soybeans that

Are popping, Milo that will go down

With snow and wind...similar to

Corn....

Add in low prices and higher

Operation cost due to tarriff

Wonderful year

Yeah right

And windmills cause climate

Change.....more likely some gas

Bags on here venting nonsense.

Veteran Contributor

https://www.weather.gov/ddc/freeze_info

Feels more like returning to normal to me. I remember a lot of cold wet high school football games in the early 80s.

I think there is a huge diffrence in the density and size of the windmills used for power generation versus the ones used to pump water in the past.
Honored Advisor

Yes, now windmills are 100`s in a row called a "wind farm".  The olde 60 foot tower with a ...what, 20 foot wheel? and 2 or 3 on a square mile, is a pineapples/potatoes comparison.  The new windmills have 200 foot props and spin 200mph.  

But like I`ve said, I don`t know if they mess up the weather, some people think they do.   But the new "wind farms " aren`t  exactly Grandpa`s old Star Zephyr.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Nutlug,  I totally agree...Fall moisture (and for us) hurricane moisture are what is normal over the decades.

I have seen harvests from the late 50's to current. Down here where I grew up looking for Lubbock dust and the smell of the "rotten eggs" Texas oil fields on the southern breeze at dawn (our indicator of winds coming) -----our "never miss" weather APP.  

From 1960 to 1996 we never missed a wheat crop... some were 25 b/a and some were 50 b/a, but we had one every year. Also grazed wheat with calves in winter months for 30+ years in a row.

But since the 90's wheat has been hard to produce, seldom grazeable(swks/okla panhandle), and kansas yields have been unreliable even in the heart of production(enid okla to Smith Center, Ks)  It has been years since usda reports for kansas reflected the problems and demise of wheat.  Western ks and colorado have increased fall crops and reduced wheat acres steadily through that 20 years 1996-2016.

Facilitating this is weather...... Falls have been dry and when humidity is low temperature varries without that humidity--high and low.

drought was terrible--- but the two worst issues produced locally over the latest 20 years were

1 no moisture to start winter wheat in the fall and  

2. fall so dry that fall crops could not be harvested fast enough -- when irrigated corn is drying at nearly one% per day we have an abnormal condition, people find themselves harvesting corn at 12- 13 moisture, which is an immediate 8-10 bushel reduction in yield that usda never recognizes.  It facilitates the foolishness of coops and end users to pile crops on the ground in normally wetter climates.

But we think the last 10 years are normal because we all think we can get what we want in milliseconds.

Normals are seldom ---- Normal is still the midpoint between the highs and lows of weather patterns.

IMO the norm in the corn belt is not harvesting the whole fall crop in shirt sleeves and loading trucks in the field, cause I wasn't born with Fleetwood Mac on the radio.  We didn't have a radio.

I remember a grain sorghum crop unharvested until frozen ground in December through January, from 2 AM to noon when the moisture could be blown out the back as frost. --- an extremely good crop delivered to an elevator in th Ok Panhandle.

The climate we have enjoyed the last few years is not normal.....take a trip to Colorado and see what the drought has done to our public forests.

And do not base your weather beliefs on the  political entertainment disguised as "news"(in business to scam the public for cash).  It is so obvious that most Americans do not believe politicians and educators can predict weather changes let alone who to blame it on.

One of the most consistent patterns of climate is hurricane season in the SE, Florida and the Gulf coast and the pumping of moisture into the midwest.  Would a population that believes the dooms day climate predictions build on the coasts like we do? 

A dry fall is not normal.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Windmills are just new way to leave concrete rubble to future generations.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I remember the day many years ago when the environmentalist HATED windmills.  They were claiming that millions of birds were being killed a year by windmills.  I remember that at that time there were only about 100 windmills in the US.  I did some kitchen math and figured that the dead birds would have to be 6 foot deep every year under the windmills.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

LMAO...

The trivia question this morning was:

What man made invention was the first to break the sound barrier..

whip.

Sonic booms daily early 60s

early 70's, neighbor lady complaining about the weather...all the space ships being launched off Cape Canaveral(sp?).. the first man to walk on the moon even

before..

yup, taking kids to ball games mid 80s, if it wasn't stormy, the kids weren't adapted to playing or cheering on a calm dry field..

even state play offs, 88 or 89, snow all the way to Manhattan...

The tilt of the axis might be checked before crediting man for all the woes...

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Maybe  the  Manifest Destiny, wagon tracks  near  Kansas 99 by Westmoreland,  are  the culprits  ?  

0 Kudos