cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Are windmills causing our beeped up weather?

Oh I know, if you want to sound smart, it`s easy to dismiss that as "poppycock"  (especially if you have 5 windmills and get $20,000 ea in rent).   And maybe windmills don`t effect weather or climate ...I don`t know, just asking and wish I had 5 windmills to collect rent from.  

10,000yrs ago my area was under a mile thick sheet of ice, so it`s hard to really say what isn`t normal anymore.  However, that northern Iowa southern Minnesota has gotten wetter especially after the wind farms came in.  This is just in my hypothesis stage, but could it be that to turn the windmill blades, the wind is slowed down enough that heavy rain gets stalled out and dumped on certain areas?   Because rain doesn`t move out, it just hangs around dumping huge amounts.

Like I say, I don`t know and if I collected rent on windmills, I would be quick to say "poppycock!".  But others smarter than me are forming opinions.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2018/10/large-scale-wind-power-has-its-down-side/   

In 2013 research, Keith described how each wind turbine creates a “wind shadow” behind it where air has been slowed down by the turbine’s blades. Today’s commercial-scale wind farms carefully space turbines to reduce the impact of these wind shadows, but given the expectation that wind farms will continue to expand as demand for wind-derived electricity increases, interactions and associated climatic impacts cannot be avoided.

What was missing from this previous research, however, were observations to support the modeling. Then, a few months ago, the U.S. Geological Survey released the locations of 57,636 wind turbines around the U.S. Using this data set, in combination with several other U.S. government databases, Keith and postdoctoral fellow Lee Miller were able to quantify the power density of 411 wind farms and 1,150 solar photovoltaic plants operating in the U.S. during 2016.

“For wind, we found that the average power density — meaning the rate of energy generation divided by the encompassing area of the wind plant — was up to 100 times lower than estimates by some leading energy experts,” said Miller, who is the first author of both papers. “Most of these estimates failed to consider the turbine-atmosphere interaction. For an isolated wind turbine, interactions are not important at all, but once the wind farms are more than five to 10 kilometers deep, these interactions have a major impact on the power density.”

The observation-based wind power densities are also much lower than important estimates from the U.S. Department of Energy and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

To estimate the impacts of wind power, Keith and Miller established a baseline for the 2012‒2014 U.S. climate using a standard weather-forecasting model. Then, they covered one-third of the continental U.S. with enough wind turbines to meet present-day U.S. electricity demand. The researchers found this scenario would warm the surface temperature of the continental U.S. by 0.24 degrees Celsius, with the largest changes occurring at night when surface temperatures increased by up to 1.5 degrees. This warming is the result of wind turbines actively mixing the atmosphere near the ground and aloft while simultaneously extracting from the atmosphere’s motion.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Are windmills causing our beeped up weather?

NO, Say it isn't so!!  "Green" energy causing climate change??  It Can't Be  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Doesn`t seem to be a free lunch, if you frack oil on one end of the world, you cause earthquakes in other places.  With windmills, there are thousands around here and more planned. Some neighborhoods have "No windmills" signs at the end of their driveway, I thought everyone would want windmills $$$$ on their place.  But farms I`ve visited near windmills have a whooshing sound that would take getting used to and you could probably forget about airplanes spraying fungicide and covercrops if you have a windmill.  One guy that has a few and they make his farm payments says that a guy comes out and counts the dead birds, well if he ever sees one near the mill, he throws it far away Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Birdilizer

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I  might  add  the  destruction  of  shelter  belts  could  enter  the  shadow  conversation  -  maybe ?

Was  this  person  engaging  the  report  from  PIECE  or  the  API   ?    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Too much free time......

the lack of iron.....parked in those shelter belts.

The deforestation of colorado by the forest service..........

And the winner is....................from these finalists.

Several years of dry falls, a couple of drought years,  and full development of the idea that wet falls are abnormal --- or in the new mellinial mind set---PUNISHMENT FROM GOD.. 

There are college professors that will verify that midwestern grain producers abuse women and brouht this all on themselves.  (including their mothers and whomever hates enough to testify.)

Lawyers are seeking farmers to join in a class action suit against the weather app developer at Google.

Silicon Valley is manipulation weather patterns

It is a wet fall and will trim and delay both crops, allow  full development of insurance claims paperwork ----and allow us to renew our humility.

an my favorite............

NO Problem............Usda moved harvest up to near done status.

(windmills are therapeutic insterments for human hypnotism.  When you awake another record crop will be in the usda file cabinet and your fields will need a farmers market approval permit for you to have a conjugal visit.  Don't forget to apply for a travel visa to leave the trade area of your farm.  Keep those male ankle bracelets in place at all times.)

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I  wondering  about  the  weather  period  1930 - 1936   -  ?

Whose  fault  -  cause   was  it  actually  -  those  Aermotor  pumping  devices - with  La Vern Noyes  &  Tom Perry  being  the  culprit ?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

1952-56

1860-69

1890-96

1930-37

1951-56

All those can be tied to solar radiation and wind.  But not coal, petroleum, greenhouse gasses, or the burning of fossil fuels.

The things that remain constant are the human ego and the fun of telling a lie and seeing folks believe it.  The first use of  new  technology is often the proof of a profitable lie.  Computer modeling is no exception.  Crop circles and the power of  the Piramid.

The history chanel spends hours not revealing documented history, but speculating on the unknown myths and mysteries an trying to prove them with satellite imagery and other genetic conjecture and projection of modern "sudo" science.

The "fragile" ecosystem myth will carry on nearly as long as "The world is flat" did.  As long as it delivers profit and power (or humans are entertained by the ignorance of others)

The coming and going of species probably predates recorded history and will go on after humans.

But we love to feel powerful.  And blaming the neighbor (and watching him squirm.)

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW  -  Good  Read  -  and  remember  we  have  billions  more  mouth's  to  feed  by  2040  !   !   !

As  I  consume  my   breakfast  orange   with  it's  origin,   in of  all  place's -  SOUTH  AFRICA   - unthinkable  -   -   -

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The world is pretty wonderful.
Human accomplishment is also amazing.

But that is never enough
0 Kudos