cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Arrived AZ

Jump to solution

Weedman I forgot Clayton58.  Depending whether you went sw on 56 from dodge city or south down to 54, you couldn't have missed him much either.

0 Kudos
weedman
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

This time we went south from Dodge City to Mineola (sp) to 54 and then over to Liberal. Usually we continue on 56 to Sublette and into Liberal on 83. This year we stopped in Liberal overnite and I wanted to find the motels out to the east on 54. Where is Clayton58 located?

When we head home we try to go to Garden City to stop.  That is about 850 miles and with the 2 hour time change, that is a big enough day.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

He is s to sw of Dodge I think -----in the Montezuma/minneola/ bucklin area.  Thats guessing for the most part.  I just felt bad about leaving him out of the conversation.  Thats a good area, my folks grew up just se of Dodge. 

It is only 100 miles from minneola to Guymon, okla but a lot of climate change in that stretch.  

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution
I live Sw of Meade but have some land along 54 just east of Meade. You would have driven right by it. Next time you're through holler. I'll by you coffee or lunch
0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Well heres another head shaker -- As a man of my word - to weed- i just TRIED  to call JCC - No answer ! went right to voice mail - then it said it's not a working number --Thats no kidding - you have to get out of bed in the morning to have a WORKING number - lol

Anywaywill try him again ----around noon - he shouldbe up by then -- I bet Hobby is up and going - Think I'll give him a call   Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

WELL I was right !!!!!!!!!! Hobby it up and going !

0 Kudos
weedman
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

Now just remember, JCCWIS is a long way north and he might operate in the daylight. The days are getting mighty short up there this time of year. Who wants to be bothered by a phone call before the sun comes up? Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
weedman
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

Your last sentence is very interesting. The little I know of the area comes only from looking out the window on the way through. Appearances indicate it is all very much the same and now I find out in that distance it is quite different. Do you have time sometime to go into more detail? And by the way, it would be fun to see you guys on the way through next spring. Hope we can make it work. Maybe then I could learn some more. I have a hard time putting my head around maybe 1/2 the rain we get a year (31 in average) plus higher average temps.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

It is a combination of things, but two things happen.   the dodge/bucklin/minneola area is at 2400 ft elev. and gets 22-24 inches of rainfall.  

on 56 ftom dodge to Boise City olka it 140 miles and seems flat but the elevation goes up 1700 feet and you loose nearly 6 inches of rainfall.  The weather gets rougher and more extreme. . You also loose humidity and gain wind.  You are into the "front range" effect of the rockies.  Hail rates go up----- rain consistancy goes away.

The 54 trip is similar, but for corn growers there is an interesting phenomena.  The Dodge area raises beautiful corn but SW Ks is too hot in July for "peak" yields.  When you get to Dalhart , Texas. 140 miles southwest, the 4000 ft elevation and dry climate makes the nights consistantly cooler and the corn yields go up 40-50 bpa on that factor alone.

That long Sw angle drive makes it seem flatter than it is.

The fact that those Dalhart area farmers are good farmers probably helps a little.  Smiley Happy

Bkadds farms in the Dalhart area----- You probably missed him by less than a half mile.

0 Kudos
SpringBrookFarm
Veteran Contributor

Jump to solution

We are about an hour north of Great Bend, so not as close as some of the others but still not far, where we are and where southwest kansas is feels like a whole nother planet. I may be from Kansas but there are parts of it that even i don't want to live.