cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: Aucttion values

Here is and amusing auction story for you. I was at an auction and the auctioneer was selling 2 small wood stool that the gentleman had made and used when he went ice fishing. As i remember the bid was holding at 10 dollars, When auctioneer said"hey ladies what do you give for the "antique milking stools" long story short one of the ladies paid 60 dollars each for the stools.  The pile of used lumber he made the from sold for 15 dollars.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Seems that most people in my area wont bid against friends, and get pissed when someone they know bids against them.  I had a pretty good friend not talk to me for months after i "bid him up" on an item that i was interested in purchasing.  Of course he was bidding against me also, but he ended up buying it so i was the one bidding it up.  For that very reason, if it is an item im pretty interested ill usually start the bidding, seems to stop some that might have casual interest if an item is going cheep, but if a friend wants to bid against me i dont hold any ill will.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good one. 

I fought a couple of guys for nice metal table loaded down with a bunch of electrical wiring for office cubicals on top of it.  This was selling out a small zipper factory in a nearby town.  When I let them have it, one of them remarked that all they wasnted was teh wiring...and i said, "Then I'd be glad to give you ten bucks for the table." 

New ones in a catalog that same size and design cost over $600 many years ago, so it was a real steal for me to get it for ten.  I've had antique dealers offer me the bid I had just made on a whole box lot for one item in it.  That's the one worth having, though....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Buyers and resellers are call "equipment jockeys" in these parts.   When farming went south in the late 70's with auction stuff going cheap, a bunch of farmers got into the game to make a few bucks and keep going.  Worked so well many stayed and it has became bigger than their farming operation.  Never have bid against someone to keep them from getting something nor to make the price higher.  Not positive I have  been similarly treated.  Been told I was bidding with a tree on one occasion.   Just assumed auctioneers/farmers would be reasonably honest.

0 Kudos