cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

BTO?

We read all the time about those dang BTO's. What makes an operation a BTO? X,000 acres? XX,000 acres? More acres than you farm? Double the acres you farm? A certain income level? New equipment make a BTO? How do you determine a BTO in your area?
0 Kudos
58 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: BTO?

I'm not sure but  know there are a lot of folks here that think they are dastardly fellows. They will have to s'plain it to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My neighbor to the north who farms 4,000, rented away 300 acres from a 500 acre farmer. Oh by the way the 500 acre farmer was his brother. I don't think I have the stomach to do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Oh wow! That's cold. Maybe BTO is defined as attitude then? I hadn't considered that possibility.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Maybe he is a brother like mine!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It seems like some brother operations get along and farm together, and others are mortal enemies of each other. I only have sisters, maybe that is good?
I'll give some examples of when I think someone has joined the BTO club. (I posed this to be a light-hearted conversation btw)

-If you have to put unit numbers on your combines and grain carts, tractors, etc
-If you are cleaning the combine up to put away, and remember then that you forgot to do an 80
-if you don't get waived at by any of your neighbors when you drive down the road
-if you go in to FSA to report acres, and for an appointment time you say "all day"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You know you're a BTO when driving through the countryside in July, you see a large unfarmed stretch of land. You stop into the landowner's place and say to him, "I'd be interested in leasing from you. Who farms this ground now?" The landowner looks at you strangely and says, "You do!"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Here's another- of you step into a coffee shop or restaurant a county or 2 over, and the locals are talking about you while you are standing there because they've never seen you in the flesh, only identify a name and big equipment: you could be a BTO
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You know how madonna is known by her first name? Well, btos are also known lcally by theirs Smiley Happy if you'd consider renting land 20 miles away, if your only gravity wagon is used for seed beans, if your planter doesn't have markers, if you went broke more people would be happy than sad...youmight be a bto. Of course there are exemptions to these rules.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Here is an honest perception of a BTO in my area. If you are farming 3,000 ish acres or more, you're a BTO around here. Some neighbors are more than double that though.
0 Kudos